CTH - Compact Tube Amp Hybrid Tubes
Oct 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Badd99

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have had this amp for quite some time just using my favorite 6fq7.

Last night I bought a 6sn7 --> 6sn7 adapter and a HYTRON 6SN7GT black plate.

I was wondering if it was possible (would be funny looking) to have a 6f8g --> 6sn7 adapter plugged into the 6sn7 ---> 6fq7 and run  6f8g tube on it? You might say just make one but I cant make one of those and would just buy the other adaptor.

thoughts? any good 6f8g tubes that would sound good? They are 6.3V and .3A vs the .6A I use in my 6fq7

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 3
IIRC I did something with 6F8G a while back (use search if curious)... Bought a 9-pin mini / big guy adapter off ebay and did the first thing you must do - ohm out the leads & make sure they go to the proper pins & there are no shorts. 
Turns out I had to mod the adapter because it assumed parallel heater support (e.g. a pin #9 connection) and CTH does not have that, only series heater pins #4 / #5.  It was not hard at all, just unscrew the adapter & re-route a couple wires.  You may have to do something WRT the tube tip/cap wire or somesuch.

Bottom line is that you must compare the pinout of whatever you end up with WRT that you are presenting to the CTH socket & make sure its the 6922/12au7 pinout CTH expects (remembering again that CTH has no connection to pin #9).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back