Crystal- The Last Great New Order Song
Jan 31, 2011 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
Heard it on the radio today for the first time time in at least a couple of years and I had forgotten how much i liked it

The song still rocks. Has all the trademarks of New Order with one notable difference. The main hook is (i think) a pretty good crunch guitar lick.

Unusual given the way New Order is associated with synths. 
Gotta get it back on my ipod when i get home

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Hmm... I'd have to say the last great New Order song would be "Waiting for the Siren's Call" off the album of the same name. It's got a lovely melody and a great coda... was released as a single but wasn't a big hit.

As for "Crystal,"it's a great song, pretty rockin' for New Order. For something equally good but different, try the Lee Coombs remix of "Crystal."

As for New Order, their last great album was Technique. All subsequent albums had brilliant moments but not satisfying as a whole. They've since broken up anyway... with Barney and Hooky fighting again and each doing their own thing; the former in Bad Lieutenant and the latter in Freebass and doing his Unknown Pleasures project. Maybe it's all for the best for New Order to stop.

All my $0.02 of course.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 5
As a long time New Order fan, I have to disagree. I'm not a big fine of the track while I think the album that followed (Waiting For The Sirens' Call) was quite possibly the best of New Order's career.

Speaking of Crystal, have you seen the music video for it? That video is why The Killers came into existence.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 5
I agree with much of both of you have said. I think Waiting For The Sirens had it's moments but the band was clearly sputtering at that point and Dracula's Castle may be the bands all time low point.

I like Technique quite a bit, but my vote for last great New Order album would be Low-life which i think is excellent from start to finish with no weak songs and with Perfect Kiss being one of my favorite New Order songs.

Speaking of offshoots, Electronic (which had Johnny Marr from the Smiths) had a couplle quality moments, especially the song Getting Away With It

PS> Had not seen the crystal video until just now. Talk about direct steal by the killers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back