Cryogenically Frozen Tubes
Jul 31, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 34
lol, a few years ago I heard someone say that they were making recievers/amps, who's CASES had been dipped in LN2, and saying that it improved sound quality. . . <sigh>

but hey, I've got access to plenty of Liquid Nitrogen.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 34
I guess I should go on record as not being in favor of cryo treating NOS tubes. If yer gonna freeze some tubes, leave the limited stock of NOS tubes alone. It's a dwindling resource! Freeze some Sovteks instead.

Aug 3, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 34
Well, I've got the JJ ECC83 that came with my MG Head... I'd need another one to do a/b comparison with, though. Anyone want to send me one?

The advantage with cryo treatment is that a/b testing is very very easy - since they look the same, sound literally is the only way to tell them apart. I might make a black dot on the bottom of the cryo tube, so I could figure out afterwards which one was better.

Aug 3, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #20 of 34
No! That will shatter them. I would reccommend putting them in the freezer overnight, then slowly lowering them into the dewar over about 30+ minutes. I've got a very slow mirror-ball-rotating [or at least that was the original use] motor (~1rpm, ~5mm shaft with a hole in the end to put a pin through to hold string on the shaft) that I could use as a winch to accomplish this; the only question is how I would attach the tube to the string. A spare tube socket would make the process much easier...

Aug 4, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #21 of 34
lol, I know plopping them in will crack them, I wasn't going to do that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was just wondering if I needed any special equipment, treating them before hand, etc.

Hmm, 30 minutes is a long time to hold them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 34
If you put a black dot on the cryo tube, how will you know if the black dot isn't what's responsable for the sound of the tube?? (just kidding
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 5, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
If you put a black dot on the cryo tube, how will you know if the black dot isn't what's responsable for the sound of the tube?? (just kidding
biggrin.gif
)

Its funny because its true.
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 34
Come on guys. EVERYONE knows that black dots make no differrence what so ever. That's just plain silly. It has to be a GREEN dot, and from that special marker pen. Jeez!

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

shorton said...

Come on guys. EVERYONE knows that black dots make no differrence what so ever. That's just plain silly. It has to be a GREEN dot, and from that special marker pen. Jeez!

Ah, but did you know that using invisible ink dramatically increases transparency? Only problem is, you eventually forget which tubes you marked, you know, because you can't see the marks. So, just mark all of them every once-in-a-while. I figure the effects are cumulative.

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #26 of 34
Ok, transparent and then use a green marker to apply the disappearring ink with. Best of both worlds.

Only one problem, DH, if you can't tell which tube has been treated, did the improvement really happen? If a tree...oh, never mind.

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #27 of 34
Actually, 30min is just an estimate. You could probably get away with going more slowly, but I would reccommend you be very careful unless it's a "throwaway" stock tube.

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #28 of 34
Of course the improvement happens, I was talking about being forgetful over months. Besides, for every tube I invisibly mark, I sacrifice a crappy Sovtek to the audio voodoo gods. They wouldn't let me down.

Aug 5, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Besides, for every tube I invisibly mark, I sacrifice a crappy Sovtek to the audio voodoo gods.

LOL! That's wonderful!

Seriously, What I'd probably do is get some crappy tube, try it out, and send it to someone here. I don't have tube gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back