Crown D45
Mar 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

phaseshift

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone considered using a Crown D45 amp for headphones? I have installed one their XTI-2000 power amps in my system. At 475 watts per channel, I'll tell you compared to my Onkyo M504 power amp which was 165 watts per channel this amp simply reproduces music with the kind of muscle one associates with a live performance. I really notice no difference in the quality of sound other than a much improved low end over the Onkyo. I get much tighter, deep, dry bass. To be honest the top end seems a little more sterile, but hardly what I would call harsh. Maybe a better word would be analytical. All in all I see no reason to look at a very expensive consumer amp again. I was very skeptical before I bought this amp myself, and I posted on many boards before buying. I have listened to music including live music for many years. My brother was a jazz guitarist for 35 years. His very good friend Gene Palumbo went on to arrange, and conduct for Judy Garland for a couple years before her death. I believe I have a well trained ear, and what it hears is very neutral reproduction. I'm sure a lot of these $5000.00 amps are excellent and produce better specs, but to tell you the truth after hearing Krell, Threshold, and some H/K Citations over the years, this Crown stacks right up there with the best of them. Even the fan which I thought was going to be the big issue has not come on once that I can tell. I'm sure under laboratory listening conditions, these high end consumer amps may reveal more detail, but I listen in my living-room. So far I feel like I stole this amp for $699.00. I'll never run out of headroom, and it with probably outlast most consumer amps. In the past I personally owned a Phase Linear 400 series 2, H/K Citation 16, and an Onkyo M504. Each amp failed for one reason or another within a 8 years span. I know non of these where ultra high end, but they represented a good buy in their day, and were not exactly cheap. The only component I have from the very early 70's that has continued to perform with no maintenance at all is my Crown IC-150 pre-amp. If I get half the life out of this amp I should be in an old folks home by then. I'm not trying to sway anyone here, just presenting the facts as I see them. It seems the D45 can be had for less than $500.00. Just wondering what people thought of this. I actually have a Woo 6 coming Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back