CrossRoads MylarOne X3, XB, and Classic Owners Club
Jul 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #556 of 1,031
just got my mylarone XB..
it sounds excellent!!(burned in, got a second-hand)

or maybe because its my first $60++ phone?
the best phone i had is the sony mdr-e21lp.. lol
i cant decide between x3 or xB, so i gamble on xB
i guess im quite a basshead then.
smily_headphones1.gif

and uncle wilson does treat my brother(who bought my XB for me) like a long lost relative from a distant country...

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #557 of 1,031
I think the XB may be in my future... but I dont know if I want another crossroads product if durability seems to be an issue for so many. I dont know about all of yours, but when I got mine, my screen didnt appear perfectly laid in, i just dont feel that build quality here is exceptional or even average.

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #558 of 1,031
what I mean by perfectly laid in, is that one corner of the circle (as if circles had corners) didnt seem quite clean and flush with everything else

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #559 of 1,031
edit'd

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #560 of 1,031
I received my XB two days ago. The XB's travelled from Singapore-California-Philippines, coz that's where I'm currently at. I just came around to reading the latest posts in this thread and it bothers me to know that the build quality is on the negative side. But what's really disappointing for me is the total lack of bass, or I migt be using the wrong tips. However, I was hoping that there will be some good level of bass even with the original tips (I tried all three stes that came with it). I like my musc with well defined bass, but not over powering. I read that it takes a few days for the sound sig to get better, but then again, I also read that, evetually, the sound sig becomes horrible.

How long does it take for the sound sig to become good? good-bad?
I geuss I'm starting to get really anxous.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #561 of 1,031
It really seems like it's the new batch of headphones that seem to be breaking down. Those of us that have had our crossroads for a long time have had no problems with the build quality. Seems like it's all the newbies to X3's who are having problems with them. May be that they are just having a little problem.

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #563 of 1,031
no probs with my pair so far, and ive pretty much manhandled them, stuffing em anywehre i can, dropping them, etc.

What is Uncle Wilson's stand on this? Does he have a warranty period? Im sure hes concerened about all the build complaints...especially since its the only bad point or criticism on an otherwise awesome bang-for-the-buck canalphone

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #564 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no probs with my pair so far, and ive pretty much manhandled them, stuffing em anywehre i can, dropping them, etc.

What is Uncle Wilson's stand on this? Does he have a warranty period? Im sure hes concerened about all the build complaints...especially since its the only bad point or criticism on an otherwise awesome bang-for-the-buck canalphone

Seems like it's just a few people complaining about them. They're very verbal about it so it seems like it's happening to a lot of people's.

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #565 of 1,031
my X3 silver/black also fell apart at the silver ring!!!!! I emailed uncle wilson and am waiting on his response

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #567 of 1,031
As with all things that rely solely on an adhesive for a mechanical joint, things tend to come apart since the joint is in a relatively high stress part of the canalphone. Some will see failures sooner than later. It's high stress because most people, myself included, twist with insertion. The sleeve goes into the ear canal and applies resistance, force is applied on the other end of the canalphone, and the adhesive is in the middle. The adhesive can't handle the repetitive torquing.

Some superglue fixed that right up for the time being. A notched case would be better. The plastic used in the casing is stronger than the adhesive and would withstand the torquing far better. The same adhesive can probably be used. I'm not sure what it is, but when it came apart it was powdery and white.

Looking at the design from an engineering perspective, failures are expected. I wouldn't consider it anything major anyway, these are relatively cheap headphones (disposable IMO). As long as the wires don't snap, I don't really care.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #568 of 1,031
Darn i am soooooo torn between the shure e2c foamies or the UE Universal Fit Kit. Opinions on these two tips are pretty much divided in this thread! If only i had a way to audition both tips before ordering. Any opinions on the Shure soft flex tips?

And is it also safe to assume that since i use the small stock sony tips (i have small ears, and consequently, small ear canals), i will also use the small shure e2c foamies? It seems that the UE foamies come in only one size

Jul 23, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #569 of 1,031
The Shure flex tips are OK, pretty good in fact but I had could never get a seal to hold: seemed like I needed an intermediate size. A big plus for the UE fit kit, apart from the range of tips provided, is the price & free international shipping from iDealSound on ebay - only 9$! Bargain....

Jul 23, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #570 of 1,031
i find that eartips are very subjective...depend on your ear canal shape..
i prefer stock sony tips than e2c foamies..

maybe because its the small sized one? considerable loss in bass..
havent tried the UE tips, and UE biflanges sounds good if i get a good seal..
(a bit hard to get good seal on the biflange)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back