Crossroads Mylar X3 vs. ATH-CK7 (or KSC75?)
Oct 8, 2007 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

odmanca

100+ Head-Fier
Fellow head-fiers,

Does anyone own/have experience with both the X3 and the ATH-CK7? I own the CK7 and I'm just wondering if the X3 is different from/better than the CK7 with enough margin to be worth a try? Since both of these phones are popular in Singapore (from what I read), someone must have had (still has?) them both. Can someone give me a few pointers? Thanks in advance.

p.s. Or a comparison to KSC75 would be helpful too. IMHO, compared to the CK7, the KSC75 seems to have better sound stage and cleaner bass but the CK7 has a sweeter mid-range and slightly clearer treble. Amping improves the SQ of KSC75 more than the CK7 paired with an amp. Overall I like the sound of the KSC75 better but the canal phones are a lot more portable and a lot less conspicuous.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 14
I have both the X3 and the KSC75. I have to warn you though, it seems like people hear different things with the X3. I don't know if its due to batch issues or how they seal in the ear canal (I'm guessing the latter). Anyway, I love listening to both. I actually look forward to listening to my X3 while traveling. I don't use them much at work cause I can't stand when people sneak up behind me when I'm working (can't hear whats going on around me).

Anyway, they are probably more similar than different. I love the bass and mids on the X3. The highs aren't as sparkly but in a way they sound more realistic but also more rolled off (which i would expect from a canal phone). Imaging with the X3 is almost as good, but soundstage not as good which isn't really fair since the KSC75s are open phones. The details on the X3s are really sweet! Overall, the X3s I think are slightly better phone to me, but they each have their usefullnes for me.

My HD-580s are better than both
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 14
I must have wrote my post the same time you did - read above.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 14
havent listened to the CK7´s, but those who have them speak highly of them, the X3´s have suffered from poor durability at some issues, also the price differance with the ER6i and the Super.fi 3 stupid might not be that big of a deal concerning build quality,

another complaint i have about the X3, is that after getting them , i had to order UE tips for them, which is another $10, becuase the original tips were quite harsh on my ears, so the differance in money might not be as significant as you think.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 14
Oct 9, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
havent listened to the CK7´s, but those who have them speak highly of them, the X3´s have suffered from poor durability at some issues, also the price differance with the ER6i and the Super.fi 3 stupid might not be that big of a deal concerning build quality,

another complaint i have about the X3, is that after getting them , i had to order UE tips for them, which is another $10, becuase the original tips were quite harsh on my ears, so the differance in money might not be as significant as you think.

Thanks, Aevum. I already have the CK7 so price difference isn't really the issue. I'm just wondering if the X3 is different enough (or better than) from the CK7 so I should give it try
lambda.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the X3 and the KSC75. I have to warn you though, it seems like people hear different things with the X3. I don't know if its due to batch issues or how they seal in the ear canal (I'm guessing the latter).

Thanks, Max. I think you are right about the fitting issue. I have several pairs of canal phones and they do sound differently when improperly fitted.

Quote:

Anyway, they are probably more similar than different. I love the bass and mids on the X3. The highs aren't as sparkly but in a way they sound more realistic but also more rolled off (which i would expect from a canal phone).

Somehow I find the CK7's highs have more details than the KSC75, perhaps due to the fact canal phones/IEM's in general have higher sensitivity.
Quote:

Imaging with the X3 is almost as good, but soundstage not as good which isn't really fair since the KSC75s are open phones. The details on the X3s are really sweet!

That sounds like the CK7 as well.
Quote:

My HD-580s are better than both
wink.gif

Yeah, price/performance ratio is always much better on the full-sized cans.
580smile.gif

Thanks again for sharing.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 14
Anyone have more opinions on the CK7 vs. X3/XB?

I'm a little concerned over the reported quality issues with the Mylars, and despite jaben's good customer service don't care to constantly replace my phones.
I'm upgrading from my aging pair of JVC FX55s.

Listen mostly to indie/rock; Zepp, Pink Floyd, Sufjan Stevens, Andrew Bird, Radiohead, etc.

Any opinions welcomed.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 14
The 55's have a big bassy sound and if you like that sound the CK7 is definitely not the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back