Crossroads Mylar Three, Super.fi sound?
Apr 19, 2007 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 458

Singapura

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know if I'm still allowed to post about these IEMs (if not I'd like a reason) because my last thread was deleted. Let me start by stating that I have absolutely nothing to do with anyone in the audio industry in general and with the manufacturer of the IEMs I want to write about in particular.

Today I received a pair of IEMs that made me really irritated. Not because they were bad or expensive but because they blew my expensive Super.fi 5 EB's out of the water. They come close to the best earphones I have ever heard. Two weeks ago I had to honor of auditioning the UE Super.fi 10 pro's and I was already making up my mind to spend hard earned cash on those. Until today. Until I met the Crossroads Mylar Three. I had never heard of this brand before I came to Singapore.

Crossroads, a Korean company seem to have a kind of local hit with the Mylar One. It is likened to the UM1 in sound. Having owned the UM1's I never could get used to the sound, too thinny, not enough oomph
basshead.gif
The UM1's have found a new master and the EB's have stayed to serve. The Mylar Three are cut from a very different kind of wood, I would say a different kind of tree! They come as close to the Super.fi 10's as any IEM I've ever heard. They're not perfect clones though. The sound stage is less wide and the highs are a bit brighter, even shrill sometimes. Build quality is a lot less too. Crossroads have had a lot of troubles with QC, the MylarOne suffered from faulty drivers. Let's hope they learned and that the MylarThrees are more durable. The cable feels cheap and suffers from microphonics. Wearing the IEMs Shure style (behind the ears) solves that problem. The colors are not very stylish but so are my (white) EB's. The flanges that come with the Mylar Three don't give a good seal which I solved by using the flanges from my EB's. The result was an ever better seal! I used my 4g iPod with my trusty LDM+ and the following tunes:

- 50 Cent - Candy Shop
- Alan Parsons Project - Wouldn't want to be like you
- Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings 2
- Rob Zombie - The Sinister Urge
- The String Quartet - Tribute to Slayer

The first thing that I noticed is the extraordinary amount of detail that these IEMs have. I could hear instruments that weren't there, even with my (5 times more expensive) EB's. I still have to compare these critters with my HD650 but I think on the detail side they come quite close. Next was bass. Being used to copious amounts of low frequency I expected a rather flat bass response. Not at all! I could switch off the bass reducer on the iPod which I use for the EB's but the bass was very tight and precise. Not toetapping, headbanging much but balanced and again...detailed. Mids were nice too although clearly leaning to the low side of the spectrum. The M3's are so new that no one has had the time to burn them in properly. I'll update when I've done that (should take 24+ hours of pink noise).

I won't state the price here or where to get them for fear of having my post deleted again. For now I'm so happy that I seriously consider putting up my EB's for sale.
tongue.gif
For all you skeptics out there: go to the Headfest and ask for uncle Wilson (no relative). Say hi from Singapura!

Update: I've burned the M3's for about 8 hours now using pink noise. The sound signature hasn't changed much or it must be that the bass is even tighter now. I still can't believe that these (relatively) cheap thingies have so much detail! I can here every triangle in LOTR. I could use my HD650 more to experience that kind of sound but with this heat here in Singapore it's hard to sit outside and enjoy those warm earmuffs. Off course the 650's beat all. Time to recable but that's another story....

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 458
Yes I was in Singapore on transit last week, and tried out Mylarthree at Jaben in Singapore. I hooked it up to my SM LE, and the sound was startling. VERY EUPHONIC all throughout. the midrange was very sweet. The bass was very articulating and deep. I prefer to listen to Mylarthree compared to my sensaphonics 2X-S(New Version). I personally don't like the New Sensaphonics.
frown.gif
. Sensaphonics is very balanced and solid state kinda sound which could be quite boring sometimes. But mylarthree was very euphonic, tubey sound especially when it was paired with SM LE. It's very addicting.

But when I'm on the plane I'm still using my sensaphonics due to a much superior isolation IMO. Isolation makes me enjoy music better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if I'm still allowed to post about these IEMs (if not I'd like a reason) because my last thread was deleted. Let me start by stating that I have absolutely nothing to do with anyone in the audio industry in general and with the manufacturer of the IEMs I want to write about in particular.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 458
MylarThree best sf5p and um2 in many area. currently, it only 2nd to my tf10p. Do listen to them at the HeadFest. Give uncle wilson a visit.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 458
dammit!!! these were in yet when i went to Jaben 2 weeks ago
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 458
I've tried but not heard enough of MylarThree to make anything conclusive so please take these comments as IMHO and YMMV.

I was initially very impressed with the MThree but after listening to it for a while, I was not blown away.

Bass:
The first thing that got me, powerful, punchy. Impressive. But then, don't go low enough or clean enough (i.e. muddy).

Midrange:
Nothing to shout about, they have a slightly recessed midrange. Undetailed and do not render guitar well (IMO). Almost to a point of being lazy and uninspiring.

Highs:
Lack extension and air.

When I first heard them, I was in love with them, I really want them to be a giant killer at their price but it turns out to be too much to asked for. You can do alot worst for their price (<SGD$100) but they are not the "giant killers" they have been hyped out to be. To be fair, my 10 minutes impression may not be conclusive but these are all IMHO and thus YMMV.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 458
I sold my Super.Fi 3 and did not get the Super.Fi 5Pro because of the Mylar3s. The comfort and the tighter bass sold me on it.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 458
After communicating with Jaben I am getting a pair from Crossroads distributor here in BKK in a day or two. The model is sometime stated as Mylarone X3. Now, since you got a head start, what'd you suggest on tips for modding
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 458
I've tried the Mylarthree.
I must say that this is one of the best price performance value earphone.

I like the details, deep bass and the mid-range sweetness of this earphone.

The negative about this earphone is :
- sometimes the high or mid high becomes bright
- isolation is not as good as the mylarone

I've burned the Mylarthree for around 24 hours and to my ear the brightness is reduced as the burned in time passing by.
Will let you know my next impression after longer burn in time.

Try this earphone at the Headfest.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 458
I understand why your thread was removed as this site was sponsored.

Though I havent try the Mylar I always believe in "what you pay = what you get".

I really find hard to believe a $60 unknown canalphone is on par with the relatively well known UE Super.fi 5 Pro ($165).

Will drop by Jaben if I am free later.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by s2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice photos, must using good lens
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I borrowed them from Shiro MS08th on "another forum". I didn't have time to make my own and I liked these a lot.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by s2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice photos, must using good lens
smily_headphones1.gif

It's the photographer that makes the photo, not the lens...

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #15 of 458
i m impressive with the mylarone sound...
bt then heard like mylarthree sound nicer.......
wink.gif

uncle wilson has really did a great job for bringing all this stuff in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back