Crossover A2 with subwoofer?
Oct 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #16 of 31
If I understand you correctly.

Yes. A four out interface is usually configured to output two different stereo signals (MAIN &CUE)  plus allow headphone monitoring of either.

However it is a very simple matter to reconfigure them to output two stereo versions of the same input signal. I do it all the time on a MOTU Ultralite, NI Audio 2 and M-Audio Fast track Pro.You can also set them up as mono if you like. Some subs prefer that. You might have to use ASIO or supplied drivers. The better manufacturers supply exteremely versatile software. So it's easy to apply Hi Pass, Lo Pass filtersr and EQ etc.

Post up the name of your interface if you like. Check the manual.

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #17 of 31
It's a Novation Nio 2/4 (probably made in collab. with Focusrite I think), I might check the manual etc later. So far it has been working so well I haven't needed to even look at anything yet lol. But if that is indeed true that this can be configured like that it can save me a big penny when I decide to upgrade my system. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #18 of 31
The result I want to have is to separate the audio so satellite/monitor only receive higher frequency input and subwoofer will only receive lower frequency (which most of them filter themselves). So the monitor is the only problem. I want to reduce the load on the tiny A2s so they can focus on mid and higher frequency.

If I understand correctly most of the suggestions so far just seems to split the input into a few same outputs.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 31
  There are some (rather expensive) 2.1 sets that do not use any hi-pass filtering for the satellites: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec10/articles/avi-neutron-five.htm

It might or might not be required with the A2. They can go quite a bit louder with some hi-pass filtering tho.

One cheap active crossover for example is the minidsp: http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4 99$
You can also separately equalize each channels with it +do lots of other tweaking. Of course this might be a bit too expensive for this kind of a setup.

but this seems to be able to do the job i've mentioned above?

I also kinda knew the sub might not pair well with the A2.. They're just too tiny.. and I have a huge room.
Just wanted to give it a try.. if its not what I like I can return it.
Or I can upgrade the monitor to something better.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #20 of 31
Yes the minidsp would do the job, but IMO its not worth spending 100 dollars just to filter low freqs to the monitors unless you are doing music production and wanna know exactly where the freqs lie. I'd rather sell the a2s and upgrade (to the a5s may be :))

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #22 of 31
@ Headzone : Yes. As expected and as far as I can tell by reading the manual the nio 2/4 will permit dual stereo output of the same source. Here is a quote.

This means that you have the option of routing that mix to nio hardware Outputs 1/2, or the headphones, or Outputs 3/4, or
any combination of the three.

It looks like quite a handy bit of kit too. Loads of effects. So applying software hi and low pass filtering etc should be a doddle.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #23 of 31
@ The OP chanwhk.

You might be making more of an issue of this than is stricktly necessary for what is realistically a budget set up. After all the A2 seem to work fine now  taking a full range input and the sub has it's own lo pass filter built in.

I wonder how you propose to connect the sub anyway. You say.

PC > NuForce uDAC 1 > A2 > BAS-500 (using the RCA input as output)

Does that mean you intend to attach two wires to the RCA input on the A2? One coming from the DAC and another going to the sub. If so (apologiesin advance if incorrect) this will effect the impedence. You will probably get sound out but it will not be hi-fi quality.

It might be time to consider getting a more capable interface. Units offering USB in and two stereo channels out (i.e. one for the speakers another for the sub) start at around $100.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 31
It might be time to consider getting a more capable interface. Units offering USB in and two stereo channels out (i.e. one for the speakers another for the sub) start at around $100.

Coupled with the cost of the NXG sub, which is not a good match for the A2s, that's a lot of money to spend for hooking up a sub with $200 multimedia speakers. If the goal is to have good bass, I agree with Rockin_Zombie. It would be better to return the NXG, sell the A2s, and get some good midbass capable speakers.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 31
  @ The OP chanwhk.

You might be making more of an issue of this than is stricktly necessary for what is realistically a budget set up. After all the A2 seem to work fine now  taking a full range input and the sub has it's own lo pass filter built in.

I wonder how you propose to connect the sub anyway. You say.

Does that mean you intend to attach two wires to the RCA input on the A2? One coming from the DAC and another going to the sub. If so (apologiesin advance if incorrect) this will effect the impedence. You will probably get sound out but it will not be hi-fi quality.

There are 2 inputs on the A2  a 1/8" input and a RCA input. Audioengine also made the RCA input to be able to output as well
The DAC will connect to the 1/8" and the RCA input (which can also output) will connect to the sub

However, I'm considering getting a new DAC like the shiity Bifrost.. The uDAC1 is pretty old now and has limitations in the supported sampling rate.
* Maximum sampling rate: 48kHz
* Resolution: 16-bits

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #26 of 31
Coupled with the cost of the NXG sub, which is not a good match for the A2s, that's a lot of money to spend for hooking up a sub with $200 multimedia speakers. If the goal is to have good bass, I agree with Rockin_Zombie. It would be better to return the NXG, sell the A2s, and get some good midbass capable speakers.

I'll try it for a few days anyway . i can always return it.. I actually have a pair of brand new A5 but i don't have the table space for it.
If I really feel the mid bass are missing I'll may be get some new monitors.. but its a lot of money since I also need to upgrade DAC

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #27 of 31
  @ Headzone : Yes. As expected and as far as I can tell by reading the manual the nio 2/4 will permit dual stereo output of the same source. Here is a quote.

It looks like quite a handy bit of kit too. Loads of effects. So applying software hi and low pass filtering etc should be a doddle.

Sorry for waking the thread, but what kind of software do I need to do this? 

I'm about to try 12" stereo subs in my system, and need to do the crossover at around 80hz. 

My setup is as follows: Novation 2i4 Interface -> inputs 1/2 to studio monitors
                                                                              -> inputs 3/4 to the subwoofer(s)

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #28 of 31
If you have misplaced your manual you can download a copy here.

http://uk.novationmusic.com/support/product-downloads?product=nio%202/4

There appears to be several ways to send the same stereo output signal to both nio outputs 1&2 and 3&4 simultaneously.
The most straightforward is well covered on pages 5 and 6 of the manual.
That will do the job for you.

I suspect you also wish to apply a high pass filter to outputs 1&2 (MAIN) and a low pass filter to outputs 3&4 (SUB).
This isn't strictly necessary btw.

Which is good news. As, most unusually, it doesn't look like you can on the nio.
It looks like the output pair 3&4 is disabled when the effects rack is in use. I'll have another look later to see if it's possible to figure out a work around but it's not looking hopeful.
It's pretty old design now and discontinued. I suspect it's a USB 1.1 standard device. So it doesn't have the throughput to handle more than 6 channels simultaneously.
Outputs 3&4 double up as Effects Return when the effects rack is activated.

Most unusual but there you go.

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #29 of 31
  If you have misplaced your manual you can download a copy here.

http://uk.novationmusic.com/support/product-downloads?product=nio%202/4

There appears to be several ways to send the same stereo output signal to both nio outputs 1&2 and 3&4 simultaneously.
The most straightforward is well covered on pages 5 and 6 of the manual.
That will do the job for you.

I suspect you also wish to apply a high pass filter to outputs 1&2 (MAIN) and a low pass filter to outputs 3&4 (SUB).
This isn't strictly necessary btw.

I know how to wire them into my DAC. But you say it's not possible to use the 3/4 with a low pass filter going into the subs?

then I think this thing is almost useless. damn. I was already dreaming of a budget 2x12" sub setup+some active tweaking..

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #30 of 31
A bit usual perhaps but not useless.

Any sub you buy should have a variable upper frequency barrier control built in. Usually 50Hz - 150hz  That's your crossover frequency and low pass filter.
You are currently sending a full range signal to your mains. So if it sound fine now you don't really need a high pass unless they are so large as to make the sub unnecessary anyway.

I'm still embarrassed by writing 'should be a doddle'  before reading all the manual. Sorry.
I'd like to stress the Novation is an anomaly. All the other interfaces I'm familiar will do what you want.
Shame, as it looks like a great box for recording still even if the output modes are a bit dated now.

Simplest and chrapest solution would be to spend a bit more on your proposed sub to get passthrough and a satellite filter built in. 
Or you could start again with more modern interface in the $200-$300 class..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back