Crossing over a Subwoofer
Sep 11, 2007 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
I recently purchased the BX10s to go with my BX8 (non-a) monitors. The sub can be crossed over anywhere from 200Hz to 50Hz. The BX8s are relatively flat to 37Hz. My questions is, what is the optimum crossover point, and why?

My first inclination was to set the crossover as low as possible (50Hz), but a couple people I've talked to seem to think 80Hz would be better.

While I can certainly try to just do it by ear, I'd like to know if there are any suggested methods and the reasoning behind said methods.

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 7
If it were me, I would go 60hz. I think 80 is too high and can sometimes call attention to the sub. Usually they say that the less work the mids do below 80hz the better to improve clarity. Personally, I would trade a hint of clarity for true omni directional bass.

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 7
For music, I'd probably do 60hz. For movies though, the extra slam makes a 80hz crossover worth it.

If possible, checkout RoomEQ wizard and pickup a RadioShack SPL meter. You can measure your FR and adjust accordingly. *warning*, you're probably better off not knowing what your very own FR looks like
wink.gif
. Not unless you like to be disappointed or like to spend a lot of money on room treatments.

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 7
80 dude. 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back