CROSSFEED -- When does it make sense?
Mar 4, 2004 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sugano-san

1000+ Head-Fier
I am not a big fan of crossfeed, and although I used to own an amp with a buit-in crossfeed device, I rarely used it.

But I find that there are recordings where a decent crossfeed switch is a godsend. I am talking about these early examples of stereo recordings, e.g. jazz, where drumset and bass are 100% on the left side of the mix and piano and trumpet 100% on the right.

It's already hard listening such recordings with loudspeakers, and they really get on my nerves with headphones. But the music is often so good that you really want to continue listening. That's when crossfeed is really useful. It mitigates the artificial channel separation and makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.

What are your views?

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 3
some early stereo rock music recordings are like that-grouping everything to one extreme or another with no blend of the channels at all-the beatles come to mind

it was all abut not understanding the blumlein theory and the advent of four track tape recorders and even respected engineers had to do on the job training in the new format

even today some engineers don't "get it" and do not treat an artists song as if it will ever see a live audience

the expression "canned music" fits

so yes ,i use crossfeed for recrodings where there is no blend of the L/R channels

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 3
I think it's almost as difficult to talk generally about crossfeed as amplification. The various crossfeed options (hardware and software) vary quite a bit. The X-Feed MKIII I currently use is very subtle. The Canz3D software I used previously has 25 settings to adjust everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back