Crossfeed through software
May 31, 2003 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ph34rful

500+ Head-Fier
I recently stumbled upon this:
http://www.naivesoftware.com/crossfeed.html
And since I normally use my computer as my listening source it really has made listening easier. I used to have a Corda HA-1 and I really missed the crossfeed on it. However this does the job quite nicely I think. I am of course using FooBar. (It sounds much better than Winamp)

My setup for comparison:
M-Audio Revolution
Outlaw PCAs
Grado RA-1
Sennheiser HD600 w/Equinox

Give it a try and let me know what you think!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 10
Yeah, and if anyone is on a Mac (the above is PC only), Canz3D is definitely the way to go. 25 settings to get the spatialization right.

May 31, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah there are ways. If on a Mac it's possible with Audio Hijack Pro/Canz3D. On a PC, try Foobar and (thanks to dd3mon for pointing this out)
enable crossfeed, select diskwriter (to write to a file) and check "use dsp". You can in fact rerecord music at digital quality while applying any of Foobar's dsp's.

See this thread.

May 31, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Yeah, and if anyone is on a Mac (the above is PC only), Canz3D is definitely the way to go. 25 settings to get the spatialization right.

it's a vst lugin? what sound player on mac can i use?

May 31, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 10
BTW for the unlucky on PC's, Foobar is here. Also explore Hydrogen Audio while over there. Good stuff on compression.

For Canz3D, yeah it's a VST plugin. It's only $10, but requires something to plug it into. I use Audio Hijack Pro, but there are others listed on the Canz3D page. Also the non Pro Audio Hijack is suppose to take a single VST plugin so that may also be a possibility. Like it's name, Audio Hijack, hijacks the audio out of any player- Real, iTunes, Audion, QT, etc. The pro version can encode directly to lame mp3 or aiff. Song by song can get tedious though. Have splits by time or file size.

Also for not much more you can get a hardware solution from PinkFloyd. See here. I just ordered mine two days ago.

May 31, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 10
Wow Foobar is definitely much higher in sound quality then Winamp2 + MAD, im getting alot more texture and detail out of it. HIGHLY SUGGESTED

Jun 1, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks, blessingx. I've been using foobar for playback, but I haven't checked out the diskwriter.

And sorry, Ph34rful, for hijacking your thread. To respond to your original point, I tried the foobar crossfeed briefly and it seems fine, but I haven't done any critical listening. Right now both of my amps have crossfeed (Corda HA-1 & Total Airhead) so I don't use foobar's; it's easier to flip a switch than to load/unload the DSP.

I normally only use crossfeed on recordings with extreme separation, and I'm not overly picky, although I don't care for the treble rolloff from Headroom's crossfeed.

Jun 1, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
Wow Foobar is definitely much higher in sound quality then Winamp2 + MAD, im getting alot more texture and detail out of it. HIGHLY SUGGESTED

duh?
wink.gif

On a different note, I don't like the crossfeed plugin for Foobar. It expands the soundstage, but the tradeoffs are detail, impact and imaging.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back