Crossfeed forced by Realtek HD Audio soundcard.
Feb 9, 2018 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

protos

New Head-Fier
I have the above soundcard on Windows 10 office PC which is a very widespread and generic soundcard. PC Line output (green jack) is fed to headphone amplifier with Sennheiser hd 600 or Hifiman 4xx.
The soundcard automatically crossfeeds the left and right channels!
The worst part is there is no obvious way to turn it off in any off the windows sound settings.

To be more precise the only adjustments available on the windows sound tab are Playback>Speakers(Realtek HD)>Configure>Stereo>Test>Front Left and Right
When I test Left or Right the chime comes from both channels.

During one of my reboots I was able temporarily to solve the problem by
Playback>Speakers(Realtek)>Properties>Advanced and untick "enable sound enhancements". However now I cannot get the option "enable sound enhancements" to appear in the same tab and there is no way to turn crossfeed off and listen to normal stereo.
Obviously realtek must have included crossfeed as a default "enhancement" in their set up without bothering to make it clear or have an option to turn it off.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Not sure if this is helpful?
For feeding the best possible signal to the external headphone amplifier.
Do you have the Realtek on-board audio set to 2-channel speaker out (Not headphone out)?
And max out the computer's volume (75%-100%)?

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the above soundcard on Windows 10 office PC which is a very widespread and generic soundcard. PC Line output (green jack) is fed to headphone amplifier with Sennheiser hd 600 or Hifiman 4xx.
The soundcard automatically crossfeeds the left and right channels!
The worst part is there is no obvious way to turn it off in any off the windows sound settings.

To be more precise the only adjustments available on the windows sound tab are Playback>Speakers(Realtek HD)>Configure>Stereo>Test>Front Left and Right
When I test Left or Right the chime comes from both channels.

During one of my reboots I was able temporarily to solve the problem by
Playback>Speakers(Realtek)>Properties>Advanced and untick "enable sound enhancements". However now I cannot get the option "enable sound enhancements" to appear in the same tab and there is no way to turn crossfeed off and listen to normal stereo.
Obviously realtek must have included crossfeed as a default "enhancement" in their set up without bothering to make it clear or have an option to turn it off.

If you can't see "Crossfeed" anywhere in the settings how do you know that it's Crossfeed - a filter that crosses sound above a set frequency across both channels - and not crosstalk - which is a flaw in hardware design as it filters everything across both channels?

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 7
It could very well be simple mono.
However I went into Control Panel>Ease of Access and there is no "other options". I browsed around the settings but there is no "mono" switch anywhere. I will check the registry tweak- but why should it be so complicated to get stereo for heaven's sake?

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Sorry I actually have windows 7 but same difference!
Tried the registry tweak - no go. I know it is not the wiring because as I said before when I disabled "sound enhancements" it was normal stereo. So the driver or soundcard is doing something. But I can't find the option anymore on the panel it showed up before.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 7
It could very well be simple mono.
However I went into Control Panel>Ease of Access and there is no "other options". I browsed around the settings but there is no "mono" switch anywhere. I will check the registry tweak- but why should it be so complicated to get stereo for heaven's sake?

There's another way to test that - use a stereo channel test. The ones that go, "Left channel, left channel, left channel...right channel, right channel, right channel." No need to buy an IASCA or Focal test disc - just go to YouTube.

If both audio tracks are practically in the middle then it's playing mono. If not hard-panned to either side then it's back to figuring out whether it's crossfeed or crosstalk.

AFAIK I haven't really seen Windows having Crossfeed by default save for gaming motherboards that have SBX audio suite in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back