Crossfeed feature on amps marketing B.S.?
Apr 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KingOfTheWild

Formerly known as kingalekay.
Hello, I would like to know how the "crossfeed" feature that's on some amps performs. Is it just marketing B.S. or does it actually produce a noticeable difference? If the crossfeed feature is legit then does anyone have recommendations for slim portable amps that have this feature? Oh yeah it would be for an iPod so a portable usb dac amp won't work.

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 5
I asked an audio-snob buddy of mine about this and here's his reply:

Quote:
"If" it's done right, it's a wonderful feature. Problem is very, very few amps have it done correctly. The Phonitor is really the only amp that I know of that has such an amazing crossfeed implementation built in.

PS he owns a Phonitor.  It's a $2,200 desktop amp that's very well respected, and known largely for its excellent crossfeed feature. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Crossfeed does make a difference. It is most noticeable with tracks where instruments on the left and right channels are completely separate. (I.e. you cannot hear any trace of the left channel on the right side and vice versa.) This is fine on speakers. But with headphones this can be disorienting. Crossfeed lets a little bit of each channel bleed into the other with the goal of making things sound more natural.

The results will depend on the particular implementation. There are both hardware (amps, or dedicated crossfeed boxes) and software (audio players like Foobar) versions of crossfeed available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back