Crossfeed..does it help?
Mar 1, 2005 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Apocalypse_HD650

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a small headphone amplifier for my HD650's, as some of you already know. I'm considering the Gilmore Lite, Xin Supermacro, Rega Ear, and Headroom Little.

I can get the Supermacro with crossfeed switch or the Little with crossfeed. My question is how useful is crossfeed, I understand its principles, but is it really that effective? I'm using the HD650's ampless currently, and the 'blobs in my head' aren't that apparent. However if crossfeed does have a significant positive impact, it may influence my decision?

Thanks

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 21
it depends on the music you listen to. if you like the beatles, or jazz albums like Time out, or other music of that ilk, then you really need crossfeed to avoid going insane. but if you just listen to recent pop music or mono recordings or the like, then you don't need crossfeed.

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 21
I think the difference is subtle for most music. It's a nice thing to have but I can personally do without it. As Jahn says, it's really down to the music you listen to. I would recommend downloading Foobar2k and testing the crossfeed on that. You can turn it on and off whilst the music is playing to see the immediate effect. I would personally describe the difference as having things coming from slighty infront of your left and right ear, as opposed to directly by your sides. Some people have discomfort without using crossfeed on music like Jazz, but I personally don't mind.

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypse_HD650
I see! Yeah then crossfeed should not even be a slight neccessity. What would your list order out of these 4 amps I mentioned, in order of merit with the best at number 1?

each has its own merit.

Gilmore Lite, Xin Supermacro, Rega Ear, and Headroom Little.

the supermacro is the only true portable out of the bunch. the rest are home amps or "transportable" at the most. or cumbersome to lug around as a portable.

you're going to hear the most positive vibe about the Gilmore lite in terms of a home amp for the senns. i really can't make that call as i've never heard the gilmore, the rega or the little.

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 21
I would agree that the Super Macro is the only true portable on the go amp. I have the SM and the SR71 and I like the ability to charge the batteries inside of the SM and the fact that it will run 45 plus hours off of one charge. The sound of the SM is a bit more agressive of the two. The sound of both is excellent. I go hiking a lot and would like to take the 71 but the size and the fact that I don't want to wear off the finish curtails this. I may be going to China for a year and the fact that I can switch the SM to 220 and charge it anywhere is of great benifit. I would like to take the SR71 but buying batteries is a hassle but if I get a charger for some 9 volts, it may go also. Again, the sound of each is excellent and I think would compete with many home units. I don't know about the other units you mention.

John

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 21
How does the SR-71, SM and Portaphile V2 compare size wise?

Edit for John: I notice that you have the Porta Pro and the UM2. I realise that they aren't nearly in the price bracket (more like 10x the difference), do you think that its a canal phone I might like considering that I like the Porta Pro or do they have absolutely nothing in common?

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I would agree that the Super Macro is the only true portable on the go amp. I have the SM and the SR71 and I like the ability to charge the batteries inside of the SM and the fact that it will run 45 plus hours off of one charge. The sound of the SM is a bit more agressive of the two. The sound of both is excellent. I go hiking a lot and would like to take the 71 but the size and the fact that I don't want to wear off the finish curtails this. I may be going to China for a year and the fact that I can switch the SM to 220 and charge it anywhere is of great benifit. I would like to take the SR71 but buying batteries is a hassle but if I get a charger for some 9 volts, it may go also. Again, the sound of each is excellent and I think would compete with many home units. I don't know about the other units you mention.

John

You really got 45+ runtime from 1 charge. What make and capacity rechargeable batteries are you using and what options do you have on the SM. I ask because I just received my SM yesterday and I only got about 8 hrs runtime maybe less from my Power2000 850 mah batteries, maybe because the batteries are brand spankin' new (1st charge and may need several recycles first). My SM has the 4 switch with OPA627 and 2X 634 buffers, which I understand takes up more juice?

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 21
Well... if Mr. PinkFloyd can be blunt so can I...

The HeadRoom image processor is the greatest invention ever for headphone listeners. It should be regarded as a must-have feature for anyone who thinks their stereo source material wasn't meant to be listened to with their ears in different rooms.

I imagine some of the other amps on your list will better help you determine if your phones are recessed in the upper mids. If you're like me and wouldn't know a recessed upper mid if it bit you in the arse, then buy the Little, flick the processor switch, grin, and don't look back.

Uncle Beau

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, the above was written for the benefit of the folks at HeadRoom for when I call to convince them to give me the Head-Fi discount retroactively for my recent purchase.

It also happens to be true.
600smile.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
Well... if Mr. PinkFloyd can be blunt so can I...

The HeadRoom image processor is the greatest invention ever for headphone listeners. It should be regarded as a must-have feature for anyone who thinks their stereo source material wasn't meant to be listened to with their ears in different rooms.

I imagine some of the other amps on your list will better help you determine if your phones are recessed in the upper mids. If you're like me and wouldn't know a recessed upper mid if it bit you in the arse, then buy the Little, flick the processor switch, grin, and don't look back.

Uncle Beau

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, the above was written for the benefit of the folks at HeadRoom for when I call to convince them to give me the Head-Fi discount retroactively for my recent purchase.

It also happens to be true.
600smile.gif

Not only of the Headroom fellows, also Dr. Meier is one of the others that have studied this problem and had reached to similar conclusions, so there is a problem to address, and there is a solution, to what point you want to use it it is up to you...But all I can tell you, is that after having used the crossfeed for a while IMO it is most for any headphone listener, it is addictive, once you get used to it, you will never go back...Sorry Mike, but I disagree there, do you think that the Prehead or the Blockhead are not good amps? It doesn't matter how good or bad the amp is, this is a physical limitation of the headphone listening experience, and period, unless you have a hole in your head that connects both ears internally, in one case you will notice it more than others, but in all of them you will find the same problem....unless bin-aural recordings which are extremely rare, and hard to find...

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 21
My opinion regarding crossfeed is that it's a necessity for anyone who listens for extended periods (like I do at work, for example). I find I don't need it as much on better equipment, and I don't need it as much for shorter listening sessions. However, it's a big plus for reduction of listening fatigue if one listens for a longer period.

BTW - When I say that it's not needed so much with better equipment, don't misunderstand that as saying that an amp like the HeadRoom Max doesn't benefit from crossfeed - it does, without question IMHO. The amp that I've heard that does the best job with soundstage is the HeadRoom BlockHead, and it's crossfeed circuit does nothing but add to the listening experience.
biggrin.gif

Hope this helps...

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 21
i usually keep the crossfeed turned to light on my Corda, but i flick it to medium with older jazz and rock. in the light setting, it's not a huge difference, but i like it for prolonged listening sessions.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 21
Ditto.....The main benefit from the use of the crossfeed is not the big change it could make on the soundstage, IMHO it is preciselly the opposite, simply IMHO that even while this difference is not that much, it will make you feel the soundstage a lot more natural in your head, it moves you a little from the stage, and as a result avoid the fatigue associated with long listening sessions...I only use the first position in my Cross-1 but it is enough to make the music fluid extremelly natural....
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back