Crossfeed Controversy
Sep 5, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #61 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill
For those crossfeed proponents, how does crossfeed handle mono recordings? Is there a case for crossfeed being beneficial or detrimental when talking about mono recordings?

It depends, on artists like Steely Dan where there isn't necessarly alot of L/R stuff going on, I turn crossfeed on (their recordings can be a tad bit bright for my tastes). However, for the most part, I leave crossfeed off unless the L/R pannings are severe, because it does color the sound and detract from the clarity.

Sep 5, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #62 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I will contact Beyer and Dr. Smyth to see if I can dredge up their interest in demoing thier headphone virtuallization processes at the National Meet.

You da man, Tyll!

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #63 of 64
So I've been listening to headphones for at least 8 years. This year I buy an amp with crossfeed (Aria). At first I don't like it due to the loss of detail, narrowing of sounstage and decrease in quality of image delineation.

Then one day, I'm listening to something and turn it on for kicks, and all of a sudden the music feels far more relaxed and natural, the soundstage is more cohesive although less enveloping. Ah, this is just like what the manual said crossfeed is meant to do, I thought to myself.

I listen to headphones late at night, and want to relax. I use crossfeed 85% of the time for said qualities.

In my experience crossfeed does what Tyll and Jan say it does. Exactly. (with the addition of the afore mentioned downsides, but it's always only an option to turn it on)

While I can imagine how top quality gear might possibly negate the need for it's effects(My sony CDP is bright/forward- thus goes well with my 650s), I also think it's possible crossfeed is quite under-rated on this forum. All pure speculation based on my own experience with it.

May 8, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #64 of 64
Recently, with a sensitive IEM, the 'more bass' resulted in crossfeeding is becoming increasingly disturbing. Now I guess I'll only use it for real-old, extremely separated Beatles stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back