Cross over frequency for low-pass filer of the the subs for LSR305 speakers
May 11, 2024 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a PB-1000 to add the subs to LSR305 speakers. Anybody know the cross over frequency for low pass filter for the subwoofer addition? Is it 50 or 80hz?

I found this response online. Should the crossover be at 50hz?
JBL LSR305 (1st gen) - comparison with digitized vendor spin.png

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Those are lab measurements, not what the speaker is doing in your own listening room. Ideally, you'd want to check at your listening position where your jbl roll off in your room. It likely isn't at 50 hz.

If this isn't possible, you can find where your speakers roll off by playing test tones, search online for these, and listen to where that is.

Sub placement is important as well

If ya don't wanna do that either...if i had to guess, for a monitor with 5 inch mid driver, you will probably end up crossing them over at 80 to 100hz.

May 11, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, I don't have the measurement equipment. Interesting that lab measurements extend that much further down. I'll play around with 80k to 100hz.

I just put it on 80hz, and the tones sounds too meaty for my taste.

Anybody know a good test track to test the tones to hear the qualities of the tones?

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Try some test tones and use your ears to find the roll off. There are literally youtube videos with the tones...80hz, 79hz, 78hz, 77hz, etc. You will hear at what point the jbls roll off at lose energy. Set the crossover there, maybe with a little overlap.

You got this

Tones

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Try some test tones and use your ears to find the roll off. There are literally youtube videos with the tones...80hz, 79hz, 78hz, 77hz, etc. You will hear at what point the jbls roll off at lose energy. Set the crossover there, maybe with a little overlap.

You got this

Tones

You know what, that lab test matches what I'm hearing on the lows. I'm getting significant tones at 50hz withe 305. Surprised it goes down that low.

May 11, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes. It can help. Use pink noise. Typically...for example...if your are calibrating to 85 db c weighted...you would adjust each jbl so each measures 82db on their own, because together...there will be a 3db gain which will put you at approx 85db when both are playing.

With that said...85db is for big rooms. Its not uncommon for small volume rooms to be calibrated at 76 to 82 db.

Next...playing the subwoofer...there is no standard calibration level...but if you are calibrating each individual jbl at 82db...to end at 85db with both playing....start with calibrating the sub, when it is playing on its own....to 79db. If this is too much or too little (notice it is 6db down from the cal level of the jbls on their own), go up or down in 3 db increments to walk it in to what feels good.

This is a pretty good explanation of the process in totality.

https://legacy.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/how-do-i-calibrate-my-studio-monitors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back