Critiquing My Soldering (56k caution)
Jul 21, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by moeburn
If your resistor is too strong, you won't see any light. Try it without the resistor for a split second just to make sure your LED isn't dead.

If you don't get any light at all, you have blown the LED. This is either caused by too much current for about 10 minutes, or reverse polarity for about 5 minutes.

Putting an LED on a battery without a resistor for a split second will kill it even if it wasn't dead before.

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
Putting an LED on a battery without a resistor for a split second will kill it even if it wasn't dead before.

blink.gif
Never killed any of mine...

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by moeburn
blink.gif
Never killed any of mine...

3v is probably alright for a short time for most LEDs, but 9v to 12v can kill a LED in a matter of seconds

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #21 of 22
I think LED thing is sorted out now... Overall, you can make the solder joints much cleaner and reliable. Here is a 30 sec. tutorial:

1. Strip the insulation from about 1/4" the end of the wire,
2. (If wire is stranded core, twist the ends of the strands together)
3. Tin the end of the exposed wire (coat it with a bit of solder), and use needlenose pliers to bend it into a ' J ' and make a J on the resistor or LED end as well
4. Slide a small bit of heat shrink over the wire that will cover the insulation you stripped off
5. Hook the J ends together, and clinch them with pliers
6. Solder the joint and cover it with heatshrink (shrink the shrink with a hairdrier).

7. VOILA! The perfect wire connection!

600smile.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
I think LED thing is sorted out now... Overall, you can make the solder joints much cleaner and reliable. Here is a 30 sec. tutorial:

1. Strip the insulation from about 1/4" the end of the wire,
2. (If wire is stranded core, twist the ends of the strands together)
3. Tin the end of the exposed wire (coat it with a bit of solder), and use needlenose pliers to bend it into a ' J ' and make a J on the resistor or LED end as well
4. Slide a small bit of heat shrink over the wire that will cover the insulation you stripped off
5. Hook the J ends together, and clinch them with pliers
6. Solder the joint and cover it with heatshrink (shrink the shrink with a hairdrier).

7. VOILA! The perfect wire connection!

600smile.gif

Thanks, that sounds easier than the way I was doing it.

The LED isn't burnt out at all, I have put the batt. termanals on the wires going to the LED a few times, but nothing blew or anything, just got a pretty blue glow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back