Critique my Macro Photography
Jun 30, 2008 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

panik343

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

Just getitng back into macro photo and I'm looking for some criticism to help me know what to watch out for. Let me know what you think of this picture:

2607791681_467df20564.jpg

1/160
f/4.5
100 ISO

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 10
I like it for the most part but the wings are too underexposed. The edges of the wing look good but I feel disappointed when I look at the body of the wing as there's almost no detail there. It would also help if the mouth-straw thing wasn't blurred, but I can see how you can't do much about that without raising ISO or using a flash (I'm assuming your aperture was set to wide open). I like it a lot though, it's a nice change of pace from the really bright insect/flower macro shots. This one seems much more artsy, which I am a fan of. Nice work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 10
I like it, I like the psychedelic effect and colors on the flower. These are very tough shots and you have done a good job, maybe a little fill light on the insect can bring out the wings a bit more. But overall, great pic.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 10
And, best to put it in the 'Post your Photography' thread, keeps things consolidated, and all the other great photogs on here will probably see it too!

by the way, its a very nice shot, if slightly under exposed on the bug, but apart from that, the composition is brilliant.

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 10
I'd like to see more non-green in the background, and I know it's got to be a blur unless you start in with the photoshopping. The insect could use a little flash - have you tried a ring light? I assume you're using a dedicated macro lens...

Laz

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see more non-green in the background, and I know it's got to be a blur unless you start in with the photoshopping. The insect could use a little flash - have you tried a ring light? I assume you're using a dedicated macro lens...

Laz

Yes, I'm using a 40D with a 100mm f/2.8 Canon Macro lens. A ring flash would an excellent addition to the collection. Maybe I'l invest once I get some more cash to spend. Do you think using my external 430EX could compensate enough?

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by panik343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I'm using a 40D with a 100mm f/2.8 Canon Macro lens. A ring flash would an excellent addition to the collection. Maybe I'l invest once I get some more cash to spend. Do you think using my external 430EX could compensate enough?

I was out shooting macro just last week and with my 450D + 550EX i think it is sufficient if lighting isn't that bad.

Love the shot btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back