Critique my Foobar2000 and PatchMixDSP settings please :)
Apr 27, 2007 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

isamu

100+ Head-Fier
OK guys, I would like you to critique my setup for Foobar2000 and PatchMixDSP software. I THINK I got ASIO now but I'm not sure.

My setup is as follows:

Using a 1616M with PatchmixDSP software. Running a set of Sony 7506 cans directly from the card's headphone/line-out jack.

FOOBAR2000 settings is as follows:

Playback-->DSP Manager-->

Equalizer(all parameters are flat at the moment)

Resampler(PPHS) Target sample rate = 44100Hz UltraMode box is ticked(should I use this or not?). Please tell me what I should change here.

Advance Limiter

Winamp DSP Bridge using the DFX Plugin - I gotta say this is FANASTIC!!

>>>>>>>>

Output:

Output Device: E-MU ASIO, Buffer length 1000ms, Dither box ticked.

ASIO Virtual Devices: E-MU ASIO

In the virtual device editior under "Channel Map" I have it set as follows:

AUX1 32Bit Left
AUX1 32Bit Right
AUX2 32Bit Left
AUX2 32Bit Right

Back to the PatchmixDSP software....in the GUI, in the four little insert channel boxes, I have them set to "Insert Send(Output to ASIO/WAVE or Physical Out)" Is this the correct setting to get the EMU1616M to deliver ASIO out? There is also "Insert Direct Monitor"....but I get NO sound whatsoever when selecting this option.

Please tell me what I should change as far as Foobar is concerned. Should I increase the target sample rate in the PPHS Resampler to 96Hz? Should I even use the PPHS resampler at all? Or swap it out for the SSRC resampler plugin?

I have NO idea if the settings above means I am currently getting true ASIO output directly from my E-MU1616M or so please tell me if I am and if there's a better setting out there than this. I really want to maximize this software along with Foobar2000. I *think* I'm hearing ASIO because the music sounds OUT OF THIS WORLD! And DFX just makes it sparkle that much more!

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 12
I think ASIO will not help you since you are not going bitperfect anymore with all the DSPs so you can save some CPU cycles and go with Directsound (default).

DSP chain should start with your resampler and end with the advanced limiter.

If your EQ is flat then you can take it out of the chain.

Resampling to 44.1 kHz in ultra mode will do nothing if your music already has a samplerate of 44.1 kHz. You can try upsampling to 96 kHz (ultra or not) and see if you can hear a difference (for the better that is).

So in conclusion your DSP should look like this:
Resampler (if at 96 kHz, otherwise not needed) > EQ (if non zero) > DFX > Advanced limiter.

Apr 27, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Since you are using ASIO with 32 bit word, dither can be unchecked. Your sound card's DAC will only use 24 bits, so dithering the least significant of 32 bits is completely pointless. Not to mention your noise floor would be much higher than that anyway.

Also I agree with Alleyman that if you are going to use advanced limiter it should be last in the chain. And there is no reason to use a resampler if you aren't actually resampling, which appears to be the case.

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 12
dfx for foobar?
has anyone tried them except from OP?

Apr 28, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks guys. Noted and changed accordingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dfx for foobar?
has anyone tried them except from OP?

I'm using a WinAmp DSP Wrapper that allows any dsp designed for winamp to be used in foobar. I gotta, although the slider settings in dfx are set to minimal, the difference the fidelity and ambiance slider makes to the sound makes a world of difference in certain songs!

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And there is no reason to use a resampler if you aren't actually resampling, which appears to be the case.

Depends on what frequency the music is at. It's could be useful because if you have some music at a higher or lower frequency it may not play at all without it, and it shouldn't affect 44khz music. Similarly mono to stereo can be good in case you have the odd mono track.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 12
No need to have foobar output to two pairs of stereo ASIO channels. No harm either. Put a SEND in the asio column to whatever physical out you want. Assuming you have chosen the right physical output you are set.

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 12
Ah you're right. I did not have a strip at all before. I didn't even know what it was for LOL. Now I have a strip and the channels are now properly labeled "Asio Out 1 / 2" Smile

For what it's worth, I am NOT using the dock at this time. Just the daughter card's native headphone jack. Is sound quality through the dock improved over the card's headphone out with a quality pair of cans?

I'm curious. Isn't this this card capable of playing 192kHz? How do I go about resampling the music to 192kHz?

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 12
Guys I have a question. Under playback-->OutPut-->Output device, there are multiple options. Right now I am using the "ASIO:E-MU ASIO" option. But I see there is also an option called "DS:E-DSP WAVE [FDCO]". What is the difference between these two and which one should I choose?

Someone else mentioned Bit perfect playback. Y'know, right now while using ASIO :E-MU ASIO as my Output device, I notice that under Output format/Postprocessing-->Output data format, the bitrate box is greyed out and I cannot select the bitrate I want.

It's only when I choose another Output device that I can select it. Why is that? What bitrate is my 1616M playing at?

Should I select "DS:E-DSP WAVE [FDCO]" and then select 24bit? Will this yield bit perfect sound? How can I select ASIO: E-MU ASIO and still get bit perfect sound?

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 12
bump
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
You will get bitperfect with ASIO, not DS (DirectSound), given that you disable all DSPs.

Ahh, interesting note on the DSPs :)

I'll fool with it some more and letcha know if I have any more questions. By the way, since this thread, has E-MU made any newer cards than the old 1616M?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back