Critique my abrasive, mechanical electronica with strings.
Oct 26, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 15
I play it, and there's just noise, then someone starts screaming, and there's some big percussion scratch metal sounds...
confused.gif

wink.gif

The scratch/percussion type sounds (starts at 4 minutes) seems to be too loud for the rest of the song... Either that part blows up your speakers, or you can't hear much of the rest of the song.. (ex: 6:30 to 7:30, or 1:00 to 2:00)?

Maybe there shouldn't be such a big difference between the super loud songs and the barely can hear parts? Or maybe that was the point since its abrasive? Bleh I dunno not really my cup of tea though, but not bad though
cool.gif
I liked the backgrounds noise/sounds but am not too fond of the (too?) loud cling bang scrrccch (4:00 or 5:30), I feel it kinda sounds weird with the ambience created before or after them... But maybe that was the point.. heh

Like at 12:30 minutes... Ow! I wouldn't want to listen to that part with my gratos! For that part to be listenable, the volume has to be down and the more easy parts really aren't very loud.. But I guess you can't have both..

Oct 27, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 15
Wow...this is really interesting stuff. You've clearly been doing this for a while. There were some really interesting sounds, although I do agree that the drums are a little too loud.

May I ask...how did you get some of these sounds? Particularly the noise that sounds like electric current through some kind of filter at around 1:25, but also those glitch drum sounds? You don't have to tell me, of course, but I am very curious. Please PM me when you get the chance.

I'll be honest...I listen to plenty of IDM, and those drum sounds you are getting are definitely at that level. I can see why you want them so up front in the mix...they're simply amazing!

~Jordan

Oct 27, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 15
Poor u. Anyway, i m not so sure of your country's legislation in regards to wild animals. But i wish u all the best, that local authorities can work out something with u to solve this issue.

Oct 27, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 15
I think it's beautiful. The robot stomping noises at the beginning were strange, I didn't like them not being on a beat. The rest is wonderful, though, with all the contrasts of the pretty background and smashing drums. It makes me grin.
cool.gif
Do you have any more tracks?

Oct 28, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 15
I liked it quite a bit. Parts of it reminded me of parts of "A Chance to Cut is a Chance to Cure" by Matmos. Very intriguing rhythms. I'm a sucker for fast hard beats backed by slow strings or slow, sultry vocals.

Do you have any more?

G

Oct 29, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Good stuff! I like the drum programming a lot. Especially the gab stabs. Everyone needs gab stabs.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the strings at all, though. They seem ... I don't know. Cheap. Vulgar. Blatantly fake. Though, I recently got re-hooked on Squarepusher's Big Loada and nothing beats that EP for drum programming merged with beautiful melody so maybe I'm just biased right now.

Overall, I like it. What else have you written? And why is sr90.net familiar? Did you host Baseck's site a while ago?

edit: Oh yeah, the mastering's excellent. And.. man, it needs more 220BPM gab stabs. That's what it needs.

edit deux: what are the 'appropriate' forums? I haven't found any forums dedicated to electronic music that are both a) open-minded and b) populated by intelligent users. All of them are either lame fanboy junk (xltronic, watmm.com or whatever it is) or so specific that there's never any traffic at all (C8 forums, etc).

- Chris

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orubasarot
Ha, yes I did host Baseck's sets, its great that it got somewhat popular and I actually got some use out of the free bandwidth I had back then. I also played this stuff at a show with Baseck just last weekend in LA, I have two more CDs from him, Instructions On How To Draw Godzilla and something else, I'll be hosting those soon as well.

Cool. Are you gonna release those on the internet? I'd love to hear them -- I got Live@23somethingorother from him earlier this year (friggin' AWESOME mix) but I won't be able to get the new ones until December since I'm up here in the boonies (Canada).

Quote:

And by more appropriate forums I was refering to maybe WATMM or C8, and like you said, one of those being somewhat dumb, the other abandoned.

Right. Damn. Figured you might've known something more popular.

Quote:

Also I completely agree on the need for more gabber kicks, I used to be incredibly biased against 4/4 music so I never really got into Gabber up until a few months ago, but I've been an addict ever since.

What a shame! Good gabber is few and far between but when it's good, it's GOOD. Get Mark N's latest mix CD, "Under Sufferance," if you don't have it yet -- probably the best gabber mix ever. And of course everything else on Bloody Fist is always good stuff. Traffik's mix discs are also good, thumping material.

- Chris

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 15
i love robots, and it sounds like this one is wreaking boston during a pops preformance
wink.gif

i like it, some of the slow bits remind me of arovane and some of the clicks remind me of mum. i too dont like the strings too much,

anyway, good stuff, i enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back