Critics Needed
May 1, 2007 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys and girls,

So, I just finished a short story I've been writing for a while and am curious as to what people will think of it. It's in a new style I've never really written in before, so this was quite the experiment for me. Anyways, I was wondering if, for those who want to read a short, somewhat bizarre story, I could get some criticism or comments on how to improve. It would mean a lot to me and hopefully you guys would enjoy a story in the meantime.

And since I seem to not be able to figure out how to directly attach a file to my post, I've uploaded it here for your reading pleasure. Open the file with any PDF viewer. If you have any changes to make, just post the word/sentence/paragraph/etc you want to change in your post and what you want to change it to. Overall criticism is welcomed as well!

Thank you so much in advance,

Sebastian

May 1, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Your use of metaphors of and similes is quite excessive but it adds a good amount of character, and in some cases, humour, to your writing.

I'd recommend writing more in this style - You seem to have a knack for it. It's awkward, but in a good way; goofy, even. (Specifically, the Bugs Bunny thought.)

May 1, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 10
nice story, and here is my critique:

i am confused about the narrator. is it the wakeful sleeper the narrator, or the writer? it is like the protagonist is telling his own story in the third person, using "he" instead of "i".

good attempts at humor, the "cereal monster" got a laugh out of me. did this actually happen to you? if so, i would write more about things like that, because you express what it feels like very well. i was less convinced about the alcoholic part.

i like how the story is willfully mysterious about the number "3", but unless you have a good payoff for the suspense of the first pages the reader feels let down. you do not have to explain everything, but a short story needs a punchier ending. is he in hell? is he delusional?

you could probably tighten up the prose--especially the descriptions--to improve the story's pace. in fact you could probably lose about a page.

good luck and keep writing.

-edit-
here is a short story i read a while ago that reminded me of your writing:
commcomm
this is the kind of punchy ending i was talking about. at first the story is strange and mysterious, then has a powerful emotional finale. the writer also uses spare descriptions, for effect and as a reflection of his narrator's character.

May 1, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your use of metaphors of and similes is quite excessive but it adds a good amount of character, and in some cases, humour, to your writing....

Good point. For instance, the first two sentences that start out the fourth paragraph...

[size=small]"Luckily, his life didn’t require much. Like a nuclear reactor[1], he had trimmed his life[2] down to a self-sustaining, critical mass."[/size]

[size=small]If you remove [1] and edit [2] so as to read "existence" instead of "life", with the new sentence reading-[/size]

[size=small]"Luckily, his life didn’t require much[3], he had trimmed his existence down to a self-sustaining, critical mass."[/size]

[size=small][3] "much" what? ..."much maintenance", for example.[/size]

[size=small]-by doing this you would negate that whole fourth paragraph and give the reader more to think about. The phrase "critical mass" could mean different things to different people, especially those with a limited knowledge of nuclear physics. The "more is less" theory often applied to music is a good example of this. Jazz composer, band leader and pianist Count Basie often employed this effect when improvising. A single note placed here and there leaves all kinds of possibilities in that open space for the listener (or in your case, the reader) to imagine the spaces in between.[/size]

[size=small]Just a thought.[/size]

May 1, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 10
Thank you all so much for the kind words and comments. I'll be sure to incorporate them shortly

Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good read.
Who's the lizard Queen?

ps. As i was reading , for some reason the voice in my head was like Marv from sin-city.

The lizard queen is any old receptionist in an office building or something. I was trying to paint the picture of these holier than thou women who guard the entrance of these office buildings and think they are on top of the world just because they get to say "yes" or "no" to people to go in. Sort of like bouncers at a club.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice story, and here is my critique:

i am confused about the narrator. is it the wakeful sleeper the narrator, or the writer? it is like the protagonist is telling his own story in the third person, using "he" instead of "i".

good attempts at humor, the "cereal monster" got a laugh out of me. did this actually happen to you? if so, i would write more about things like that, because you express what it feels like very well. i was less convinced about the alcoholic part.

i like how the story is willfully mysterious about the number "3", but unless you have a good payoff for the suspense of the first pages the reader feels let down. you do not have to explain everything, but a short story needs a punchier ending. is he in hell? is he delusional?

you could probably tighten up the prose--especially the descriptions--to improve the story's pace. in fact you could probably lose about a page.

good luck and keep writing.

-edit-
here is a short story i read a while ago that reminded me of your writing:
commcomm
this is the kind of punchy ending i was talking about. at first the story is strange and mysterious, then has a powerful emotional finale. the writer also uses spare descriptions, for effect and as a reflection of his narrator's character.

The narrator is supposed to be a third person, though it shifts whenever the format is in italics to the protagonist. Both the narrator and the protagonist have to give the feeling that they are ridiculously sure of what is immediately going on, but that they can never be really sure of the nature of what is going on.

As for the alcoholic part, I was trying to subvert that stereotypical male alcoholic. He didn't really drink anything but water - I was trying to comment on how people often speak like that even though they weren't really that drunk just to seem tougher and more authentic. It could be cleaned up, maybe even removed.

And the mystery around the number 3, I was trying to portray a sense of the futility of trying to keep track of time. This happened to me a lot this term at university, where I would go to sleep and wake up at totally incongruous times with the rest of the world, and it completely throws you off. Also, time in the end is just a human construct, which I tried to note when he keeps flip-flopping between being late and being on time. This always happens to me - I think I'm late one minute, I leave, and then I realize I'm on time or even early, and then I'm actually late, or something along those lines. Do you have any suggestions for a punchier ending? I wanted the ending to be sort of self-reflexive and symptomatic of the narration - ie. dazed and confused.

The character is neither in hell nor delusional - he's just in a metropolis, though not living on the same wavelength as everyone else, which causes his interior monologue to replace society's monologue and causes his confusion with time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. For instance, the first two sentences that start out the fourth paragraph...

[size=small]"Luckily, his life didn’t require much. Like a nuclear reactor[1], he had trimmed his life[2] down to a self-sustaining, critical mass."[/size]

[size=small]If you remove [1] and edit [2] so as to read "existence" instead of "life", with the new sentence reading-[/size]

[size=small]"Luckily, his life didn’t require much[3], he had trimmed his existence down to a self-sustaining, critical mass."[/size]

[size=small][3] "much" what? ..."much maintenance", for example.[/size]

[size=small]-by doing this you would negate that whole fourth paragraph and give the reader more to think about. The phrase "critical mass" could mean different things to different people, especially those with a limited knowledge of nuclear physics. The "more is less" theory often applied to music is a good example of this. Jazz composer, band leader and pianist Count Basie often employed this effect when improvising. A single note placed here and there leaves all kinds of possibilities in that open space for the listener (or in your case, the reader) to imagine the spaces in between.[/size]

[size=small]Just a thought.[/size]

Cool, thanks for that - it definitely reads better and allows the reader to interpret it in many different ways. Less is definitely more - I'll go over the story again.

May 1, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 10
"His mind ached for carnal knowledge of the labyrinth."

He seems aloof before this statement. It seems inconsistent that he cares toward the end?

In all, it left me hazy. I enjoyed it. I like his dual spoon rationale.

May 1, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 10
As a few people have stated, your prose is a little flabby with excess simile. I think trimming a few of those out would help. It seemed to me that every object/construct you introduced had a "like a...." after it. Two that especially jarred a bit as a reader were the diplodocus (far too specific and distracting) and the obscene prophylactic shoes.

You could try making the metaphor a little more oblique. I am finding it difficult to pick specific examples from your text, but what I am trying to convey is instead of saying something is "like a cat" say it was purring. That sort of thing.

Other than that, nice story.

May 1, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I enjoyed it, it reminds me of Stephen King, my favorite author, so I am used to many similes, and I enjoy long descriptions that tell you everything, so no complaints from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back