Critics be damned!!! I love the album anyway...
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
What album do you love that seems to never get talked about. An album that’s simply your own guilty pleasure?

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 14
Above & Beyond - Acoustic I/II

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 14
Constrictor..............................Alice Cooper

This album never gets liked, it seems to some to be the low point in ACs huge multi-generational musical output. The lyrics may be at times teenage, but that was his target audience. I love the LP sound of this disk. In terms of 80s metal it is a masterpiece of that recording style. The drums and guitar are perfect. This seems to be a wild card to pull out when I just can't find a fast cheesy fix of 80s metal!

So Killer gets all the love. Billion Dollar Babies is ok. Welcome To My Nightmare is ok. For some reason I am not even able to tolerate Alice Cooper Goes To Hell? So what do you really have to play? Schools Out! Yes.

I'm not into greatest hits compilations, but want to hear the original LPs in all their (floor of the bedroom) teenage glory. The sequence of the songs, the sound of a needle drop. A click, a pop, you show me a perfect Alice Cooper record from the day and I will show you something that was (still throughly) used and abused. These disks got beer all over them due to being brought out at midnight when things were just getting going. They were thrown around and gave their life for the moment just like we all did.

OK, so later Alice went out of fashion, and fell like many into the the 80s metal epidemic. His style goes great with Constrictor. What else do you want? In the simple form and purpose, it is what it is. A great rock record with a shocking cover. I dare you you to try and play air-guitar to Teenage Frankenstein in your underwear without grinning just a little. That is what this stuff is about. We have all been way to serious about our music, getting a little farther from the true meaning (and message) every year. I still remember when Alice was a great threat to America! Ruining the minds of American youth with his over the top shows and lyrics. Today he is as harmless as a puppy, except being the grandfather of shock-rock right next to Arthur Brown. He has set-up the shock-rock template for all the Slipknots and Kiss bands in the world. Anyone else out there who is attempting to be cutting edge or bad owes their shock grade school antics to the band known as Alice Cooper.

Acconst.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 14
Kiss : Unmasked
I can't help but find a crazy charm in these silly disco pop songs.
There are even some interesting songs: "Is that you", "Talk to me" for example.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 14
Kiss : Unmasked
I can't help but find a crazy charm in these silly disco pop songs.
There are even some interesting songs: "Is that you", "Talk to me" for example.
I tried so hard to love that record but never could, though somehow Dynasty found a way in? It may have been my age when it came out. It was the transition phase from old KISS to the metal KISS with the album that followed Music from “The Elder”. Then they were totally Metal.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 14
I love The Elder too (another hated album 😀). But "la grande oeuvre" Metal is Creatures of the Night of course.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 14
“The Elder” could absolutely be on this list, because I love that record, not 100% all of it though. Just like Judas Priest’s Nostradamus, I really like it, but not everyone does.
I love The Elder too (another hated album 😀). But "la grande oeuvre" Metal is Creatures of the Night of course.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 14
That was wild that Creatures was first issued with Ace on the cover then Vinni Vincent, then the reissue has Bruce Kulick plastered onto it, and the whole band also took their make-up off. So who really plays guitar here?
ABC44DF9-ACF0-4053-99A1-239A5B09EB79.jpeg
009F9A5C-487C-431C-AD59-AFEC477AD53B.jpeg

D4622773-3DC9-4E00-B09A-8548A9F03048.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Listening to Lick it up with Vinnie Vincent, I feel like it's him on Creatures. Ace is present in the photo for contractual reasons from what I have read. The cover with Bruce Kulick and the band without makeup is rubbish. In addition Vincent Cusano (Vinnie Vincent) co-signed 3 songs on Creatures.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 14

The critics panned this album. I love it & never get tired of listening to it.
Critics didn't like that one? Well then I'm fully on your side, I love it very much as well 👌

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Lick it up
Lick it was in my memory the first real metal album for them. Then in 1985 they went totally mainstream with the metal on Asylum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back