Critical comparison between IE8 and UE SF5EB
Nov 27, 2009 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

geralt_ll

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been using IE8 for some time now, and am curious about how the SF5 EB compares with the IE8.

I did audition the EB, but the length of time was insifficient to guage it sonically, furthermore, I'm not even sure if it was a burned in set. The bass is definitely prominent, but I find the mids lacking and the highs non-existent for that set.

If I am not mistaken the EB comes with a wide-band BA. I own a pair of SF3, however I can't remember how UE's single BA sounds like. The stock cable broke and I've since switched to ES2 cables (I am certain that the sound stage is wider, and the bass has improved).

Since IE8 is dynamic driven only, I assumed that for the EB, the BA would be able to deliver slightly clearer mids, and highs.

Not out to bash either IEMs. I'd like to evaluate both to justify getting the EB, especially so, beacause it has been discontinued.
There isn't a model in UE's new lineup to replace EB AFAIK.

I used the IE8 for classical (Mozart's Piano Concerto), not the best option, but it does it well enough- love the soundstaging. Will the EB be able to do likewise?

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 3
I had the EB's. Sold them. Still have the IE8. The EB uses a dynamic driver for bass and a ba driver for mids and highs. For me at least, the IE8 is far ahead of the EB in terms of sq. The UE Triple.Fi is a contender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back