crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
May 31, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #211 of 1,335
Today's update is mostly exotics from the land of Music Sanctuary. Not a lot of measuring but rather lots of comparing between modern TOTLs. Impressions below.

64 Audio Tia Fourte
8bSs5Eh.png

64 Audio U18Tzar
YJcZC4z.png

Dita Audio Truth Gold
fgo0wGf.png

64 Audio A5
Txb1Bjo.png

Additional re-measures:

@Overkill Red's Zeus-XRA custom
Music Sanctuary's new A12 demo unit

I'll be doing a point-grading system for this database soon; purely subjective and based on arbitrary numbers. Would be a fun thing to start on.

Here are the results of the small shootout I did between Fourte, A18, Flamenco (with all switches up), W900 and Zeus-R-ADEL, the five that (IMO) are at the top of the IEM game right now.

Bass quantity:
Fourte >= A18 >= W900 > Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Bass decay (slow -> fast)
Fourte > W900 > A18 > Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Mid forwardness
Zeus-RA > A18 > W900 = Flamenco > Fourte

Smooth -> Textured
W900 >= A18 > Fourte >= Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Warm -> Cold
A18 >= W900 > Fourte >= Flamenco > Zeus

Treble sparkle/presence
Flamenco >= Zeus >= Fourte > A18 > W900

Soundstage width
Fourte > A18 >= W900 > Zeus > Flamenco

Soundstage depth
Fourte > Zeus >= W900 > A18 > Flamenco

I try to use less objective terms like "detail" since the difference between all five of these amazing IEMs mean nothing next to preference. I'll be hard pressed to call anything "the best" or better considering they play against each other's strengths and weaknesses.

That said, IMO the Fourte is absolutely stunning. Still would not buy one (I'm voting with my wallet and my wallet says no to the 3.6k price tag) but represents many things of what I want in an IEM. Can't wait for the future when the chamber technology is adopted by more companies at a much lower price point.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #212 of 1,335
Fourte is stunning, Thank you for the graphs. It helps to visualize what I'm hearing. I've just wrapped up my Fourte/U118 demo, I was one of the first to own A18. I personally prefer A18 over Fourte but as you've said Fourte is no slouch either I just see A18 as technically superior and more toward my preferred signature.

Your measurements confirm the increased bass quantity in the 50-100Hz range I was hearing A18 having over Tia Forte. Your measurements precisely reflect and match up with all the little notes I jotted down about the various frequencies as I listened to songs with both.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #213 of 1,335
Another nice update today. Today's an Asiafest with lots of Eastside products.

Alpha & Delta AD01
Alpha & Delta D2
1More Quad Driver
AAW A2H Pro V2
AAW A3H Pro V2
AAW M40
AAW W350
AAW W900 (demo/universal)
Dunu DK-3001
Fender FXA7
FLC Technology FLC8S (default filters)
Heygears Anora
Kumitate KL-Lakh
TFZ King
VSonic GR09

Notes and impressions:
  • A3Hv2 notes in my review thread soon. A lot of things to talk about, most of them not good.
  • A2Hv2 sounds like an improvement over the old V1. But it wasn't like the original A2H was very good to begin with, so it's a low bar to pass.
  • The AAW W350 sounds amazing. Coherent, smooth mids with an analytical edge to bring out details despite the smoothness. A far cry from the harsher, edgier sounding M40 that simply falls short next to it. W350 recommended, M40 not.
  • The W900 universal does have less bass and bass texturing compared to the custom. Though, contrary to the measurements, the universal versions also sound slightly brighter.
  • The DK-3001 is extremely impressive as well. Definitely bass-focused but retains a sublime midrange with sparkly treble.
  • The FLC8 still sounds as tear-jerkingly magnificent as when I owned it months ago. I've called it the best IEM under $500 and I will continue to do so.
  • The Japanese KL-REF. For a few moments, they made me consider selling the W900. Extremely clear, detailed and neutral-sounding, though the flaws slowly popped up over the course of an hour's listening (fatiguing treble, not very smooth tonality, slightly disjointed midbass etc.). They deserve a full review and I can't do a short writeup of them justice.
  • The GR09 is great, as expected. The ceramic shell does add some weight to its build though. Whether it's annoying or satisfying is up to you.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #216 of 1,335
Small update from Zeppelin & Co. today.

KZ ZS3

Onkyo E900
Sony XBA-300
Stax SR-002
VSonic VSD2
Zero Audio Duoza ZH-DWX10

Also, a re-measure of the Campfire Andromeda. Seems like the demo unit at Connect IT had an issue with the treble regions, resulting in a non-representative curve. Below is the raw, IEC-compensated and Campfire's official measurements for reference.

gdHUfis.png

J2IBPNE.png

9645021.jpg

Glad to confirm that this DIY rig is working to a reliable standard.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #217 of 1,335
Why do you show 100 dB range - CA's is only 50. By doing 100 dB it flattens all your graphs - so you don't really see the true measurements. Also peaks are wrong in the lower treble. CA's first peak is between 6-7 kHz - yours is at 8 kHz. CA's 2nd peak is at 9 kHz - yours at about 11 kHz. Might need to look at the calibration - or is the software skewing the graph somehow? Don't get me wrong - I love what you're doing - just noticed it (I'm subbed to thread), and guessing you (like me) want to be as accurate as possible.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #218 of 1,335
Why do you show 100 dB range - CA's is only 50. By doing 100 dB it flattens all your graphs - so you don't really see the true measurements. Also peaks are wrong in the lower treble. CA's first peak is between 6-7 kHz - yours is at 8 kHz. CA's 2nd peak is at 9 kHz - yours at about 11 kHz. Might need to look at the calibration - or is the software skewing the graph somehow? Don't get me wrong - I love what you're doing - just noticed it (I'm subbed to thread), and guessing you (like me) want to be as accurate as possible.

I have the AudioTools app which allows me to adjust the visual range, but for consistency's sake I'll be uploading FFT Plot/Analyzer graphs to the database. I think for now the step-scale is fine; FFT Plot generates a 6dB step while Campfire's has a 5dB step.

As for the location of the twin peaks, I'll have to do more experimentation but in theory the frequencies above 7000Hz are typically wonky on any coupler and highly susceptible to insert depth. Shame I only thought of it just now but I'll conduct more experiments with the Andromeda in the future. Seems like everything's heading in the right direction for now, at least.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #219 of 1,335
Jun 6, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #220 of 1,335
A little trip to Null Audio got me some nice exotics.

AAW Nebula Two
AAW Q
Hidition NTRM
Hidition NT6
Hidition NT6 Pro
Hidition Viento-Reference (default)
Canal Works CW-L33BB
Canal Works CW-L05QD2

Notes and impressions:
  • AAW Nebula Two sounds very clean and is an absolute stunner for the asking price. Shame about the semi-open design though.
  • AAW Q... honestly didn't wow. Would prefer the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore instead; while definitely not as small as the tiny Q, it does sound way better.
  • The fabled Hidition NT6 does with up to the hype, as much as I was rearing to hate on it. Clean, clear and detailed to a very satisfying degree. If you can't find a UERM, the NT6 is a decent replacement.
  • Viento is absolutely amazing. Shame I couldn't get the switches to work and one side had major channel imbalance, but it was still an absolute delight to listen to. Very reminiscent of my other favourite, the Ultimate Ears UE18+.
  • Nothing much to say about Canal Works' lineup. Wasn't much that stood out, honestly.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #222 of 1,335
crinacle, that you can say about FAD Lab I and Lab II, I'm interested in your opinion.

Not a lot I can say. Those were very expensive pieces and I was being very cautious when using them, to the point where I barely had any substantial analysis on them apart from FR graphs. Through these short audition times, the LAB II sounds like a superpowered earbud (without the weird tonality) and the LAB I sounded like a bassy Etymotic.

Again, take my comments with a huge grain of salt due to the circumstances at hand.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #223 of 1,335
Was too lazy to update the past few days. So, here's the chunk of it all saved up in one neat little post.

Acoustune HS1501
Acoustune HS1551
Bragi Dash
Empire Ears Merlin
Ice Lab EX02
Ice Lab EX03
Ice Lab EX05
Ice Lab EX06
InEar Stagediver 2 SD-2
InEar Stagediver 3 SD-3
InEar Stagediver 4 SD-4
InEarz Nirvana
Jomo PLB
Lear LCM-4
Lear LCM-5
Noble K10 Encore
NocturnaL Gorham
NocturnaL Atlantis
Ultimate Ears UE18 (original)
Valore BTS17
Vision Ears VE8

Notes and impressions
  • Accoustunes are veeery impressive. Solid bass, smooth tuning and very nicely balanced. Reminds me of VSonic's GR07, except superpowered.
  • Bragi Dash is somewhat decent sounding all things considering. It was an absolute pain to measure though, considering that it had to be in contact with skin to even function.
  • Ice Lab's house sound seem to be the bassy-V-shaped combo, reminiscent of JH's lineup.
  • Jomo PLB was not good to my ears. Slow transients and heavy low-end emphasis makes for a dulled, mushy listening experience.
  • I am not a fan of the "Lear house sound". Makes vocals sound shouty and overly aggressive. BD4.2's bass impressed, as did its potential for earth-shattering quantities.
  • The K10 Encore (as much as I hate the Noble cult following) is very technically proficient. Nicely balanced with good sparkle in the top end. However, it's competing with the likes of the Hidition NT6 and the InEar ProPhile-8 which makes it not very value for money at its price point.
  • The NocturnaL Atlantis is clean, clear with very nice tonal balance. An absolutely recommended item at its asking price. I was so impressed with them that I actually requested for some demo units to review so expect a full write-up in a few weeks.
  • The VE8 gets my recommendation right off the bat. It does everything so well that I'm sure I can't do it justice in the space of this bullet point alone.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #224 of 1,335
My last update before I return back to Australia and have a potentially long hiatus with this measuring business. Glad to be back home for a bit.

?????
Audio Technica ATH-CKR70
Audio Technica ATH-IM01
Focal Sphear
Mass Kobo BCE-1B
Pai Audio MR2
Pai Audio MR3
Sony MDR7550
Sony XBA-Z5

Notes and impressions:
  • The Frankenstein earbud-converted-IEM only classified as "?????" is amazing. Never before have I heard something so alien in my life. It truly is an art to be this bad while still being in full working condition.
  • A rare oddity, the bone-conducting BCE-1B is hard to measure accurately so do take the provided graph with a grain of salt. A wonderful novelty item but ultimately sounded horrid anyways.
  • The MDR7550 (successor to the EX1000) gets my recommendation. I actually prefer it over the Z5.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #225 of 1,335
You deserve a much needed break, thank you for the hard work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back