Creek OBH power supply
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering buying a Creek OBH-11 amplifier from somebody in the US, and was wondering what power supply would work over here in Australia since we have 240V whereas the US is 110V.

For example, would this work? AC Adaptor Plugpack 24Vdc 1.5A (M9636) - Dick Smith Electronics - Australia.

Not too keen on buying an amplifier that I can't use here due to voltage problems...

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone got an answer to this?

There is no danger. The amp or whatever device is hooked to the PSU will only draw as much current as it needs.

Edit: And to answer your other question, a regulated PSU will run close to its specified voltage output (24V, in this case) whereas an unregulated model can have swings in its output voltage (22-26V, for example, or even a greater range). Obviously a stable output voltage is desirable with audio equipment, for sound quality and their longevity (excess voltage can kill the innards).

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 15
My Creek OBH-11 came with a OBH-1 unregulated power supply rated at 24V DC 150mA max, the dc power connector is wired tip positive.

By all accounts, the OBH-11 benefits from a better quality power supply, eg the OBH-2 which is a regulated psu rated at 24V DC 250mA max.

A little internet searching suggests that you can buy the OBH-1 for $90AUD and the OBH-2 for about $150AUD.

You could consider building a Tread PSU which will be at least as good, if not better, than an OBH-2. The Tread Kit is $17USD plus shipping and you would need to source a transformer and an enclosure, say another $20-30AUD on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back