Creek OBH 21SE
Apr 13, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
This thread really has developed into something strange.

I saw you trying to communicate exactly what you say you were, but in reading the posts I didn't see that attitude from fewtch, comments like "go get stuffed" as well as a variety of other nasty comments about the Creek don't really seem to fit in. Sure, ignoring fewtch is one of those things all long time posters here have learned to do, but this guy is new. The guy likes his amplifier and said so, he never maintained it was the best on the planet, why all the negative commentary and cheap shots at his gear? Sure there is better, but if he enjoys it, he enjoys it... There is much better gear out there than anything you, I or fewtch have.

Apr 13, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #47 of 65
I am happy that he is happy with his amp - I definitely wasn't trying to "rain on anybody's parade." I was simply saying to any buyers interested in the Creek that there are other amps in a similar price bracket that I feel are superior, so please consider those in addition to the Creek. I have no problem with someone enjoying his gear but I don't like when my opinion is brushed aside simply because I don't agree with someone; I consider everyone's opinion valid regardless of post count, experience, etc. If he's happy I'm happy - finding audio equipment that enhances one's enjoyment of music is what this site is all about.

Apr 13, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #48 of 65
Quote:

I have no problem with someone enjoying his gear but I don't like when my opinion is brushed aside simply because I don't agree with someone; I consider everyone's opinion valid regardless of post count, experience, etc. If he's happy I'm happy - finding audio equipment that enhances one's enjoyment of music is what this site is all about.

I happen to find your opinion very solid and one I respect very much but I've been around long enough to judge it and the experience you have had, others have not.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #49 of 65
Likewise!
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. The SoCal meet is going to be amazing - thanks for letting me tag along!

Apr 13, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #50 of 65
I leave this site for a few days and off they go, thought it would die once Creek was mentioned.
An amp is an amp is an amp or is it. Some would say we are constantly rehashing the same design or circuit. In theory this is somewhat true, there is a classic design to designing an amp and some would say there is no difference between amps.
Components have been constantly improved over the years so the came circuit design from thirty years ago may sound sonically superior when made with today’s components. Again maybe not, the new components may show up the faults of the older design, or cost cutting actually is putting out sub standard parts and a great design sounds terrible.
Creek have always been a godsend for the impoverished audiophile, or at least from what I have read, over the years.
So we get back to discussing the Creek headphone amps.
Back in November I decided to buy a new headphone to run my AKG K240DF’s off my Bryston pre for private listening. You would think Canada’s largest city would make it easy to find something. Well I discovered a Rega Ear, Grado and Musical Fidelity, and that was it, now which one to choose. Let’s check out the Internet. So I discovered this site and read through reviews and discussions and heard about the little Creek, ok then, who carries this in Toronto. Well through Creeks web Site I found blah, blah, blah.
Ordered the OBH-11 for $229.00 Canadian and the suppliers sent an OBH-11se rev B instead, same price.
Ok I’ve got my little setup and enjoying it, let us go and find out some more about it back at headfi.org. OMG now it’s little brother is being trashed and by coincidence mine know sounds bad too, oh lala.
Well I’m a big boy and have been collecting audio stuff for the last forty years, so what’s wrong with the amp, noisy NO, does it sound distorted NO, not enough volume NO, looks NO, lousy components, who’s to say, you did your homework YES, Creek’s a respected manufacturer YES, you got your money’s worth and more Yes, you liked it before you read the bad reviews YES.
So what’s really wrong, NOTHING.
Actually I’m curious how fewtch actually did his measurements and will start a new post.

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

I am happy that he is happy with his amp - I definitely wasn't trying to "rain on anybody's parade." I was simply saying to any buyers interested in the Creek that there are other amps in a similar price bracket that I feel are superior, so please consider those in addition to the Creek. I have no problem with someone enjoying his gear but I don't like when my opinion is brushed aside simply because I don't agree with someone; I consider everyone's opinion valid regardless of post count, experience, etc. If he's happy I'm happy - finding audio equipment that enhances one's enjoyment of music is what this site is all about.

I appreciate the sentiments, NeilPeart. I assure you that I had no intention of brushing aside yours or anyone's views. The spirit of my posts has just been to put in a word for the "other side," actually--on behalf of those of us who aren't yet ready to abandon ship on the OBH-11s. I don't think you've got anything to worry about with respect to your views on the matter--most folks around here agree with you.

I think I was a bit agitated, and didn't want to see yet another Creek thread dissolve quietly into nothingness...I guess at least that was accomplished, for whatever it's worth.
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #52 of 65
The protagonists in this thread all struck me as good and intelligent guys, who just got carried away a little trying to make their point. The exchanges on some of the other audio forums are much worse, and make you wonder if our hobby is doomed (check out rec.audio.high-end if you want to see how neurotic and mean-spirited some people can be about inanimate objects). Let us keep it fun and enjoy a healthy debate in the right spirit without hurting one another's feelings.

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Sure, ignoring fewtch is one of those things all long time posters here have learned to do, but this guy is new.

gpalmer, you're full of it (and you know it). Show some evidence that all long time posters are ignoring me, or shut up. Lacking evidence, I consider your statement above a personal attack.

Not that I particularly care, given the fact that (like markl) you've never contributed a single post of value to this community, never helped a newcomer or anyone/anything but your own overblown, hyperinflated ego. I don't respect you, and your pathetic attempt at insulting me comes across as lamely as all your other "posts."

If you want to make yourself useless, go post in CI. You're a classic example why that forum should remain (just set up a script to automatically move whatever you post there, nobody would notice your absence in the audio-related forums).

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #54 of 65
fewtch, lighten up. Can't take a joke?

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Show some evidence that all long time posters are ignoring me, or shut up. Lacking evidence, I consider your statement above a personal attack.

Give me a break fewtch, you just ragged on this guy for pages as if he was pushing the Creek as the most wonderful amplifier in the world instead of just saying he liked it and that was good enough for him. The only person I have seen go on and on about how the Creek was the most wonderful amp in the world was you and here you are abusing a guy who just said he liked the sound and that was good enough for him. Are you really unable to see how little credibility this gives your opinions?

Apr 15, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Are you really unable to see how little credibility this gives your opinions?

Coming from someone whose opinions I give zero credibility, I'll take this as a compliment.

Apr 15, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Coming from someone whose opinions I give zero credibility, I'll take this as a compliment.

There there junior, go out and play with the other children...
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #58 of 65
I hope I was the only one who saw fewtch's first comment before he edited it away
rolleyes.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob80b
If it sounds good to you go for it. But don't read the posts.
Enjoy your music.

Good golly miss Molly! I see Rob80b had tremendous foresight when he told Newmanoc not to "read the posts". Indeed, it is better to just enjoy good music with no matter how bad an amp than to watch threads like this deteriorate.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
I hope I was the only one who saw fewtch's first comment before he edited it away
rolleyes.gif

LOL, you're right he attempted to make himself look better, to bad you caught him!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back