Creek OBH-21SE, really worth??
Aug 30, 2007 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

oldwine

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all,

i would like to ask in comparison to OBH-21 and 21SE, which need about US100 more, is the extra bucks really worths?? i want to use it to drive the K501 as well as the DT880 (old version), and i mainly listen to classical musics (especially string quartets and Cellos)

thanks in advance.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 14
I can't say that I have any first hand experience with the Creek OBH-21 or the SE variant as far as listening sessions go.

But from what I know the SE is described as being the next sonic step up from the OBH-21 in that it has a improved power supply and slightly different circuit design and higher parts quality. We know that an improved power supply on virtually amp should provide better sonic characteristics such as improved bass, better articulation etc....

Michael Creek has always been a "technocrat" and only designs and produces new gear when there's a true benefit. I was lucky enough to speak to him about 10 years ago when he had just released the first of the OBH series and it was quite an enlightening chat.

One would expect the SE version to be better sonically than that of the entry model, but then the actual sonic character that either of the amps produce is a personal thing. How often have we upgraded equipment to find that even after the "settling in" period we still prefer our "old kit" that we had just sold to upgrade.

If you can, best to try both amps in a side by side comparison before you commit your funds to a final purchase.

I hope that some of the other Head-fi'ers here may have a personal insight/experience of the OBH series that they can share with you.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear all,

i would like to ask in comparison to OBH-21 and 21SE, which need about US100 more, is the extra bucks really worths?? i want to use it to drive the K501 as well as the DT880 (old version), and i mainly listen to classical musics (especially string quartets and Cellos)

thanks in advance.

I have OBH21SE with K501 and they make a good match in my opinion, really detailed and full sound. I cant help you though in comparing it with OBH-21 simple..... I'd say go for SE because in the long run 100$ aren't to much for head-fi bliss....

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 14
There never was much love on this forum for the Creek headphone amps. The earlier version of amps, the OBH11s had good sound quality and a solid, if basic build. However the use of cheap components attracted much criticism here at the time and Creeks reputation never recovered. The OBH 21 amps are of a completely different and superior design and build.
The OBH 21SE has an enhanced component count over the OBH21 and better sound quality. The OBH1 PSU supplied with the OBH21 is just a standard wall wart, whereas the OBH2 PSU supplied with the OBH21SE is a large brick type. The 21SE is a fine sounding amp and well worth the extra over the 21.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 14
I had a Creek 21 with the upgraded Creek power supply. I now have a MF X-Can v.3 driven by the MF X-PSU v.3. My main phones now are the DT-880s, and I listen to classical, acoustic pop, and jazz. I think this set up is far better than the same phones for this music with the Creek.

You can find used X-cans on headfi and audiogon pretty often. And the X-PSU v.3 brings the X-can to a whole new level.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better stay away from both. They're not awful, but not the best for money.

x2

I have the OBH-21SE and have tried it with a lot of cans, including the DT-880. I did not like that pairing, but I honestly don't prefer the OBH-21SE with any of my cans.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear all,

thanks in advance.

Nope! If you can find a 11se for under $200. than try that(best creek made IMO).
blink.gif

Also, I've owned them all. I was a big creek fan back in the 80's/90's. I've been real happy with my X-CanV3 for the last 2 years.

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Better stay away from both. They're not awful, but not the best for money. For your music and cans better go with Musical Fidelity X-can v. 3.
PS obh21 se is worth 100$ over obh21

Have you even listened to OBH21 or SE?

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Better stay away from both. They're not awful, but not the best for money. For your music and cans better go with Musical Fidelity X-can v. 3...

X2, or you could consider the Green Solo by Graham Slee which you can purchase for: £ 245.00 GBP plus S&H.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, or you could consider the Green Solo by Graham Slee which you can purchase for: £ 245.00 GBP plus S&H.

Where did you purcahse one?

I can't seem to find that amp on their site.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Have you even listened to OBH21 or SE?

Of course, it even looked like one in your sig
wink.gif

BTW, T30 are way too weak to drive either porta pro or ksc75, if you really care about sq, not about having good, avowed pair of cans in your sig, upgrade your dap.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There never was much love on this forum for the Creek headphone amps. The earlier version of amps, the OBH11s had good sound quality and a solid, if basic build. However the use of cheap components attracted much criticism here at the time and Creeks reputation never recovered.

Speaking of the OBH11, I find it quite a curiosity that Creek have ressurected it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back