Creek OBH-2 Umbilical Cord
Feb 2, 2004 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone ever replace the umbilical cord on the OBH-2 power supply to the amp.
I’m looking at the power supply and questioning the flow of current to the OBH-11se, which is a Class A amp.
Replacing that six feet of cheap zip cord will probably put the little Creek on a more nutritious diet, or maybe another power supply with a nice Plitron Toroidal Audio Transformer like in my Bryston amps.

Any suggestions?

Feb 3, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 6
This is something that I have been interested in as well; the umbilica is quite whimpy for such a massive (comparatively) power supply. Also, I would like a dc plug that actually fits the socket input on the back of the unit perfectly, unlike the stock interface.

Feb 5, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 6
The thickness of the cord depends on the current applied on the cord. Larger current requires thicker cord.

The equipment¡¯s power depends on the product (multiplication) of voltage and current applied on the cord. If the power is fixed, then higher voltage implies lower current which further implies that a thinner cord might be good enough. This is the main reason why the electric power is transferred from one place to another via high voltage because miles and miles thicker power line demand more money (more metal) to build the power line.

Since the voltage off the OBH-2 is rather higher (compared with the usual 6V, 9V, or 12V), I am not surprised to see a thinner cord used, and I therefore do not expect much improvement by using a thicker cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back