Creek OBH-14 24bit DAC. Time to upgrade?
Nov 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
I own the Creek OBH-14 24bit / 48Khz DAC

365_0.JPG

Nowdays most of my listening has switched over from vinyl/redbook and SACD to 320K mp3s... (I know, shame... but due to lack of time etc, it is much easier for me...)
deadhorse.gif
I connect the SPDIF output of an M-Audio Audiophile to the DAC.

I have a newfound love for my STAX Λ SR404s paired with the SRM-313. I feed those with the analog output of the DAC.

The DAC has a crisp quality of sound with great weight and dynamics. Compared to other sources I have listened to I would enjoy mids that were more forward and a higher degree of realism. Kind of like what the feeling that vinyl conveys.

Considering that my listening will come mostly from 320K mp3s some FLACs (and perhaps some 24bit FLACS) , would it be worth of upgrading to something with the cost of $500 max. (used)? Or will the improvements be so marginal that I would rather spend it on a different pair of cans for a different taste.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would enjoy mids that were more forward and a higher degree of realism.

What does a mid suffering from a lower degree of realism sound like? Equalized down/up from flat on some other dac?

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speederlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does a mid suffering from a lower degree of realism sound like?

I don't know. But I mean that I would enjoy the following couple of properties from a DAC:

1. more forward mids
2. more realistic sounding (not only the mids)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back