Creek OBH 11 vs Headsave Elite -HD600 use-
May 1, 2004 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aWanderlust

Head-Fier
What would you buy? Im planning on purchasing a Marantz CD5400 or the Cambridge Audio D300 SE as a CDP for dedicated headphone use, since I have listened to them locally and like they way that they sound. Would you match this with a creek obh 11 amp with the good power supply or is the headsave elite with a good power supply a better option? I would be using it to power HD600's. I await your valued opinions! Thanks

May 1, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 14
IMHO, Headsave Elite by a long shot. Much better quality of parts (literally everything, up to and including the volume control and headphone jack), better circuit design, much more neutral sounding with HD600s (low output impedance), and hand built by a very skilled guy named Norm who charges insanely reasonable prices for the level of sound quality you get from his amps
smily_headphones1.gif

-- fewtch, who once owned the OBH-11 (long gone via eBay) and now has two Headsave amps, driving HD580s and HD600s...

May 1, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 14
sweet, thanks for the info. Should I buy the elite sl or the elite sp. I think the only difference is one is battery powered and one uses a converter. I wont be taking it anywhere, but does a battery give better sq?

May 1, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aWanderlust
sweet, thanks for the info. Should I buy the elite sl or the elite sp. I think the only difference is one is battery powered and one uses a converter. I wont be taking it anywhere, but does a battery give better sq?

Batteries can give better SQ, but the tradeoff is the Elite SP is probably not as "maxed out" (since it only runs on a single 9v battery and has to conserve battery life)... I doubt it drives HD600s as well as the SL. Unless you need portability I'd go for the Elite SL with Elpac PSU, and maybe think about building an external battery pack for it later (not too hard to do, someone in the DIY forum could probably help out if needed).

P.S. just in the interest of diversity, JMT also makes amps (I hear they're excellent, a bit pricier than Norm's tho)... www.jmtaudio.com ... so do a few other DIYers around here.

May 1, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

I would want the 1/4in headphone jack not the mini, correct?

Well, I think the SP has a minijack *input* (not headphone jack) for use with portable sources... but as far as headphone jacks, 1/4" is better (unless for some reason you wanted a mini (?)).

May 1, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
My headsave elite SL from norm came with a mini headphone jack...is it nnormally supposed to come with a 1/4 jack? Or does it not matter? Would it effect the sound quality?

Maybe he was selling them with mini headphone jacks at the time (?) ... on the website it says you have a choice of mini or 1/4". Anyway, it should have no effect on the sound. Minijacks can be less durable sometimes tho, and some headphones you might need a 1/4" to mini adapter.

May 2, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Does the PIMETA board allow for any mixing of signals to eliminate the "blob in your head" or do you need to add crossfeed to it?

Has to be added...

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/mlxfeed.html

If you want crossfeed, it's possible to use an external (separate) crossfeed processor as well. If Norm hasn't built your Pimeta yet, he might be able to add crossfeed to it for an additional charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back