Creek OBH-11 vs. Headroom Little for HD600s
Jun 5, 2002 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

d0u6

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I need some help in deciding whether I should get the Creek OBH-11 or the Headroom Little amp to power my Sennheiser HD600s.
confused.gif
I don't want to spend over $300 on an amp. I'm only a student, so I have to make the best of what I can work with. Hehe.
cool.gif

My current source is an Aiwa receiver (dolby 5.1, don't know the model off the top of my head, but it's not the greatest source) and I'm using mdr-V6s & HD600s without any amp. I am pretty satisfied right now, but I would like to have a better sound when listening to my music. I listen to mostly alternative, rock, dance, and classical. I want to have the best over-all sound quality possible. I love bass, but I lean more towards clarity and accuracy of sound over the loudness and vibrancy.

I do have one question besides which amp would be better to buy also. Is there going to be a substantial difference with an amp rather than hooking up the cans to the receiver? They sound quite loud and nice right now, but I've never owned a headphone amp, so I am quite unclear on the difference that it would make.

I will be hooking the amp up to my Aiwa A/V receiver to play DVDs, video games on my Xbox, and listen to music. (so the setup will be like this x-box>>aiwa receiver>>(amp)>>hd600s.) I'll probably upgrade the interconnects as soon as I get the chance to and get a Monster cable to hook up my Xbox to my receiver. At this time, I don't have the money to upgrade the source, so I want to make the best of what I currently have to get the best audio/video experience I can afford.

If there is something better out there that I can get for my money ($300US), then any help would be greatly appreciated. Please don't flame me because I am only a newbie. I just need a true audiophile's opinion. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Also consider the Meier-Audio Corda HA-1 for $325. I have it and it works very well with the HD600. I have not compared it to the Little or the Creek, but from what I have read, it is at least a far better amp than the Creek. The Little gives you the option of upgrading in the future, which may or may not appeal to you.

Jun 6, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 5
Jun 6, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 5
I was searching for the whole term Meier-Audio Corda HA-1 so I didn't get the results. Eventually, I found the site. Thanx for your help though. I think I'm going to go with the HR Little. Can't afford the Max, but I want to have the option of upgrading that power source later in case 15v isn't enough for the HD600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back