Creek OBH-11 vs Cute Beyond
Dec 14, 2008 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

peanuthead

500+ Head-Fier
Which is better overall?
Also, which one would do a better job of driving a low impedance can (such as Denon D2000)?

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 7
Anyone???

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 7
I would think they would both do a great job from reviews I've seen. I'm currently looking at getting a Cute Beyond for my DT880

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by elephino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a review by 6moons which includes the Creek and the Cute Beyond.

6moons audio reviews: Headphone amps from Firestone & Blueberry Audio

I think for the price, there's thin competition for the Cute. The impedence selector is a nice touch. Not sure about 20 Ohms though. Wiser men will have to answer that one.

Great article and site. Thx!

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 7
Found some concise headphone basics here:

How to Interpret Headphone Data - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Low impedance cans require lower voltage, but once you get that low (20 Ohms) you need more current. Cute Beyond lists their impedance matching to different cans at the bottom of this page:

http://www.firestone-audio.com/cgi-b...asp?pdtseqnm=1

I does claim to drive 8-600 Ohms.

That's all I've got.

Just a note: I've read that the Denons are warm with smoother highs. Make sure adding a warm amp like the Cute Beyond is really what you're looking for. Meier Audio's Corda Arietta (@ meier audio)looks like a nice match for retaining the sound of the Denons, IMO. Its only a little more expensive than the Cute and just as expensive as the Creek (@ audioadvisor, needledoctor). Worth considering anyway.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually had a chance to try out the Creek OBH-11 with my Denon D2000, and it performs well, especially compared to direct output from my iPod or computer. However, I don't notice any improvement compared to my Harmon Kardon stereo receiver - I've read some reviews of my receiver and it supposedly has a very decent headphone output.
Does anyone have any experience with Cute Beyond and Denon D2000? I'm curious to see if there would be a significant difference between the two solid state amps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back