Creek obh-11 headphone amplifier modification - novice need advice!
Oct 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

thevman

New Head-Fier
Greetings from the UK

Hi everyone i am hoping anyone who has experience in this little Unit can give me some good advice on doing a self modification to improve the sound.  

As much as i love the little unit i believe and know creek could've done a great deal better with the internal components.

I recently asked www.bigskyaudiomt.com if they would do the conversion for me, but unfortunately they do not cater for outside the USA so a big fat NO! 

Now from all your experience what can i physically do myself to make it better? I am handy and proficient with a soldering iron and electronics (not an expert but i can remove and solder parts cleanly) as for what all the components do and there role i need to get my books out and clean the dust off them

So far from my research i can do this myself:

opamp Rolling:   want to be able to change according to my headphones and sound i want i have AKG K701's and Philips Fidelio X1.

I was thinking 

National LME49720 Dual High Performance High Fidelity Audio Op Amp
Burr Brown OPA2604AP
Dexa Technologies or burson?

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/newclassdopamps.html

any other opamps you use and have good results with would be appreciated, can i use the Dexa if you know?

From my research i can do all of this:

ea. National LME49720 Dual High Performance High Fidelity Audio Op Amp
1 ea. Omron Gold Plated 8 Pin DIP Socket
1 ea. 2,200 uF 35 Volt Nichicon "Fine Gold" Power Supply Capacitor (C11)
2 ea. .33 uF 100 Volt Wima Polypropylene Signal Coupling Caps (C1, C101 - original values are .22 uF)
2 ea. 220 uF 25 Volt Elna "Silmic II" Audio Quality Electrolytic Signal Coupling Capacitors (C4, C104)
2 ea. 47 uF 35 Volt Nichicon "Muse Bi-Polar" Audio Quality Electrolytic PS Bypass Capacitors (C10, C12)
2 ea. 47 uF 50 Volt Nichicon Low ESR Electrolytic Feedback Capacitors (C3, C103)
2 ea. 1/4 Watt 1% Vishay/Dale 5,000 Ohm Precision Metal Film Resistors (mounted under PCB at IC1)

I want to be able to change most parts i know you can change unto 25 parts? i would like a BIG change and make this into something special :) I'm actually pretty excited about doing this mod just to see and feel the difference.  

The parts will be sourced from the uk from www.hificollective.co.uk i would like an idea of what to order and why just to learn and enjoy this hobby.

What else?  You can see where i want to go with this and would appreciate all your input, I'm willing to go pretty all out and mad on this little project.

Thanks in advance

Vishal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back