CREEK OBH-11 did not make much difference
Sep 14, 2005 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

woodytone

100+ Head-Fier
I used my Creek OBH 11 headphone amp connected to a Sony SCD CE775 CD Player (connected by RCA kimber cables) while using Sen HD 600's and i could not tell the difference when i used this setup and when i just plugged the headphones right into the headphone jack of the cd player. To my ears they sounded exactly the same. Is this amp a waste of money?

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 5
I've tried Creek few years ago and I wan't impressed by it. It does amplify sound to the certain degree, but it is no where near the performance of typical full home headphone amps. Granted, it costs a lot less than most of other amps out there, but I got more enjoyment out of go-vibe. Creek is suitable to amp weak portable players like some Sony MD player which can barely power up high impedance full size cans, but there are more versatile amps out there for similar amount of money.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 5
Thats weird though that you wouldnt notice any difference. Places like this:
http://www.gradolabs.com/reviews/rs2_1.htm
Where they even mention it with other higher end amps and I have read some reviews at audio sites while not raving say it is somewhat good gor the price. I notice a huge difference on my HD600's with an amp, either my RA-1 or X-cans regardless of my source and I have tried quite a few. Mostly I notice it in the low end bass, tightens up and really comes out. What kind of music do you listen to? I suppose if its string classical you might not see much, or possibly acoustic.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 5
I think there is an OBH-21 which is an improvement over the 11 and also Creek offers an upgraded power supply for both which I think makes a big difference.

However as mentioned it is one of the cheapest amps and if it was really good for the price everyone would have/want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back