Creative Zen Xtra vs NJB3
May 4, 2004 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

path

New Head-Fier
I'm wondering what the advantages of the Zen xtra are over the NJB3. Afaik the NJB3 has line in, line out, support for a wired remote over the zen xtra ... and is upgradable to the same hdd sizes. Any comments?

May 4, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 10
I agree, size and portability are the only real advantages of the Zen xtra. If the unit will size on a desk or attached to a home stereo most of the time, then go for the NJB3. If you will be taking the player around, on your commute and on trips, I would get the Zen Xtra.

cool.gif

May 5, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 10
If you buy the Zen, get a 2 year Best Buy service plan or something comparable. It's not an undefeatable brick like the JB3. I've had my JB3 for 2 years now and, aside from the headphone jack falling insaide completely, it's great! I use a headphone amp anyway so it hasn't bugged me.

May 5, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 10
The size of the NJB3 is HUGE. It is so huge that if you are prepared to lug the NJB3 around, carrying external amplification is not really a big deal when compared to carrying just the NJB3. This way, with an expanded hard disk and WAVs you end up with perhaps the definitive audiophile HDD set-up... since the Line Out of the NJB3 is in fact superior to many highly regarded 'classic' PCDP's, let alone many other HDD players. The iPod is the only one which I've owned (I have not owned the Rio) which can get close to it.

However it has to be said that the hugeness can become a drag. If you're prepared to invest in the abovementioned 'ultimate portable audiophile' + decent phone set-up and an iPod Mini + E5 & ER-4 (or custom earpieces) at the same time, you could be said to be in portable / semi-portable hog heaven.

May 6, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The size of the NJB3 is HUGE. It is so huge that if you are prepared to lug the NJB3 around, carrying external amplification is not really a big deal when compared to carrying just the NJB3. This way, with an expanded hard disk and WAVs you end up with perhaps the definitive audiophile HDD set-up... since the Line Out of the NJB3 is in fact superior to many highly regarded 'classic' PCDP's, let alone many other HDD players. The iPod is the only one which I've owned (I have not owned the Rio) which can get close to it.

However it has to be said that the hugeness can become a drag. If you're prepared to invest in the abovementioned 'ultimate portable audiophile' + decent phone set-up and an iPod Mini + E5 & ER-4 (or custom earpieces) at the same time, you could be said to be in portable / semi-portable hog heaven.

well said! echos my thoughts exactley.

May 6, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 10
I agree! I love my JB3 to death, and still believe it sounds better than any ipod or other HDplayer out there. Plus the line in and optical in are cool.....I love recording directly into WAV (up to 48kHz, I think) and MP3 (up to 320kBps)...

About the size: it's really not all THAT big....same size as almost every PCDP out there...

May 8, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pikawel
I've had my JB3 for 2 years now and, aside from the headphone jack falling insaide completely, it's great!

What did you do to it to cause it to fail?

Have you tried to repair it?

I had an intermittent right channel because I accidentally damaged it, but just finished repairing it, and it's as good as new.

May 10, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 10
I'd used the headphone input for about 8 months and, ironically, at the same time I got my Total Airhead, the headphone jack was made unusable. I haven't used anything other than the line-out since.

At first, it had just fallen in a little bit, now there's no sign of the headphone input whatsoever. I made no attempt to repair because I just don't care; I'll always be using a headphone amp
smily_headphones1.gif

The cause was general wear and tear. I'd dropped the thing a handful of times and, thankfully, the harddrive was never damaged.

May 12, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pikawel
I'd used the headphone input for about 8 months and, ironically, at the same time I got my Total Airhead, the headphone jack was made unusable. I haven't used anything other than the line-out since.

At first, it had just fallen in a little bit, now there's no sign of the headphone input whatsoever. I made no attempt to repair because I just don't care; I'll always be using a headphone amp
smily_headphones1.gif

The cause was general wear and tear. I'd dropped the thing a handful of times and, thankfully, the harddrive was never damaged.

Ouch.

I've dropped mine twice in two years -- both times they were kind of gentle drops from a short distance, and with the leather glove on. But if you drop it with the headphones plugged in, yeah, that'll do some damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back