Creative Zen Vision M vs Sansa Fuze
Apr 16, 2009 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

quane

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a Fuze (2GB with idea to buy 8GB microSD card) a week ago and I'm really happy and pleased with my purchase but today while browsing Gumtree, I found out that a person not so far from me is selling a Creative Zen Video M 30GB for £35 which is how much I paid for my Fuze. I can't really decide if I should go back and get a refund or just keep the Fuze so I'm asking you.

1) What should I do? Refund the Fuze and get the Video M or keep the Fuze?
2) Is Rockbox possible for the Video M?
3) How's Video M SQ compared to Fuze?

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Anyone? O.o

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 10
1) depends. The ZVM has a bigger screen and can play almost any video file. Fuze has better SQ and can play FLAC, OGG

2) No

3) I've heard both the ZVM and the clip (which sounds the same as the fuze). I can say that the Clip/fuze sounds a lot better than the ZVM.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 10
It's strange because if it's true what they write on teh internets, the zen vision uses stmp3700 SOC which is supposdly the bigger brother of STMP3600 which is used in the Sandisk Express which sounds freaking identical to the clip (to my ears atleast [although another bunch of ppl feel the same]).

So either that chip is inferior to its predescessor or the firmware plays a big role here..

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 10
I guess I won't get the ZVM, too much hassle and now that I got Rockbox on my Fuze, I'm fairly happy. I was only keen on getting the ZVM because of the 30GB memory because maximum I can get from Fuze is 10.

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's strange because if it's true what they write on teh internets, the zen vision uses stmp3700 SOC which is supposdly the bigger brother of STMP3600 which is used in the Sandisk Express which sounds freaking identical to the clip (to my ears atleast [although another bunch of ppl feel the same]).

So either that chip is inferior to its predescessor or the firmware plays a big role here..

It's interesting that you say that. Personally, I found the Clip to be much more detailed and clear, with much better stereo separation and soundstage than the Express. Maybe my Express had a different SOC. However, I'm pretty sure that the Sansa v2s (e200 v2 etc.) and Express use the chipset as the Clip and Fuze, yet people have stated that the v2s don't sound quite as good. That brings me to the conclusion that firmware is important to SQ as well.

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Nah your express had the same soc. I'm also pretty sure it uses the Sigmatel STMP36OO unlike the clip which runs on Austrian Microsystems AS3525.
What is possible, though, is that my ears suck and I can't detect differences which arent flat out obvious. Or just a placebo on your side
wink.gif

I'll try to compare them again with different tunes. Guess trance is not the best genre to compare sources
ph34r.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm not ruling out the placebo effect, but it could be synergy as well. Of course, if you look at my collection, no part of it could be considered even mid-fi. I no longer have the Express with me (traded it in for a third Clip), but I remember what I heard.
wink.gif

In my opinion, the largest difference was soundstage and treble clarity and extension, so I'm thinking if the trance tracks utilize those two elements, it should be a fine source (considering the recording's good).

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 10
i use to own a ZVM but i sold it for the fuze. why? i simply wanted something more portable. if i didnt mind the size, i wouldve kept the ZVM. personally, i like the interface and stuff a lot better than the fuze's. sound quality wise, they are both very good. i personally would look more into how portable i would want my DAP to be and if im going to watch videos or not. if so, ZVM. but since i wanted something smaller and i dont watch videos, i sold it for the fuze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back