Creative Zen Vision: M impressions
Aug 2, 2006 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

-pete-

New Head-Fier
So I've recently bought a creative vision: m to replace my ageing rockboxed ipod 4g, I figured i might as well give some impressions for you lot to judge.

The phones were tested on my audio technica ATH-AD700's a decent mid-high range phone, tests were carried out in a quiet room with little ambiant noise.

First things first...
[size=x-large]Lets open the box!
[/size]
021.JPG

Thats the box, its pretty simple and a nice black colour
smily_headphones1.gif

022.JPG

The bottom, showiing the other colours avalible

024.JPG

The back, complete with information overload

025.JPG

Slide the bottom box out and you get a nice white box to open
smily_headphones1.gif

027.JPG

Crack that open and we have the player and headphones in a foam frame.

028.JPG

The headphones (I haven't even opened these yet :S)

029.JPG

The player, its taken the ipod route and is wrapped in plastic, the text gives instructions on how to use it

031.JPG

The rest of the crap in the box spread out, lots of manuals and leaflets

032.JPG

The USB cable that you use to charge it, notice the fat dongle on the end of it, that also has the plugs for a proper AC adapter and the AV leads that you use to connect it to a TV

[size=large]Size Comparisons[/size]

A few photos to compare the sizes with my old player

033.JPG

Side by side they're pretty much identical

035.JPG

Height wise they're pretty much the same too

038.JPG

The zen is a couple of milimeters thicker in depth and a tiny bit narrower in the middle.

In short, its a good size, a fair bit thicker than the modern ipods but not as wide, imho this means that you are less likely to crack the screen.

[size=x-large]Audio quality[/size]
I've done a number of comparisions of the accoustics of this player with the old ipod and well, i dunno how to say this other than its very similar, the sound is crisp and clear with my ADs, the mid to low range is a little bit more pronounced and a bit heavier maybe, there is a custom EQ in the menu that gives you a bit more control to make the sound as you like it, personally i think it sounds pretty much perfect without any fancy software tricks but you can play around should the urge take you.

I would have to say that you should just avoid the "bass booster" option, it'll muddy everything up but you knew that already right
wink.gif

[size=x-large]Build Quality[/size]
The unit feels very solid and well built, nothing clicks or creaks and you hold the unit, the buttons are a little stiff but more on that in a moment.

[size=x-large]Useability[/size]
The operation of the unit is very similar to anyone who has either a zen or ipod before, we have a scroll bar in the middle of the unit that you use to switch between tracks, the sensitivity takes a bit of getting used to as does the fact you can tap it to go deeper into the menus, think of it as a bad laptop touch pad and you'll be close to what to expect.

There are a couple of smaller buttons either side of the pad that you can use to look through alphabetically (i.e skip to all the artists beginning with "k" etc) this is useful because the pad isn't really accurate enough to scroll through a big list quickly. It took me 26.7 seconds to go from playing a song with the hold switch on, to get back to the menu, search through my list of artists, albums and select a track and start playing it, compare this to 19.1 for the ipod doing pretty much the same thing and you can see that it'll take some time to get used to the zen's controls. you can alter the sensitivity of the pad but it still isn't that great.

In addition there are four face buttons on the player, all backlite'd in a cool blue colour, here we have controls to play/pause, go backwards in menus, a button to add ratings (similar to the ipod) and list all songs in the current playlist - this button will also act as a shortcut to your favorite action when in the main menus - and finally a contextual button that will pull up a menu to skip through the track, get details (play counts, bitrate etc), remove (full albums or individual tracks) playback modes (shuffle, repeat etc) save as playlist and pull up all of the artists tracks. These buttons are a little too stiff imo and they make one handed operation a little more difficult that it perhaps could have being.

[size=x-large]Features[/size]
One of the big selling points of the zen is that it can play videos, I've had freinds with video ipods who are a little annoyed with the long winded encodeing options so kudos to the boys at creative for putting divx and wmv playback as standard, playback is smooth and the screen gives a good view of the action, I wouldn't really want to watch a full film on there but if you are someone who might - for example - watch last nights 24 on the train to work then it should do the job. It also has support for video podcasts but i have yet to try that out since you need to install creative own software for that which I have yet to do since I have just used windows media player 11 for the moment.

Another big advantage of this unit is the support for the microsoft "PlaysForSure" services such as napster and (in the US) yahoo! Using the napster software has automatically dropped all the tracks I downloaded from there onto the player without too much of a fuss, so you can use a combination of media player and napster without any problems.

In addition to this the zen will automatically pull your pictures from your "my pictures" folder, kinda annoying if you have alot of rubbish in there but you can delete what you don't want without too much hastle. Pictures look crisp and bright and full of detail, although if you want to setup a slide show you have to use a PC and the software supplied.

Oh and it has an FM tuner which can pick up local and national radio stations, its not great but its there should none of your 30 gigs of tunes take your fancy. There is also a mic too, possibly useful for students taking lecture notes
smily_headphones1.gif

So there you go, a good little player, reasonable size, reasonable price, a load of features, a great screen which is let down by some slightly iffy controls, sound quality is great but not much better than most other player.

Overall I'll give this player
[size=x-large]
8.8/10[/size]

Great player, iffy controls just knock it down a little

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 25
Nice review.

Did you find out what this fat dongle on the USB cable is for, by any chance. I still can't figure this one out...

Many people here will swear no stock earbuds are any good, for sure they do not sit well in *my* ears so I prefer to use those in-ear ones. When you have a chance you could try this player with Sennheiser MX 300 or CX 300 for instance, these are pretty good headphones.

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 25
The dongle on the usb cable is for mains power, your usb connection and you can connect wires similar to those on a digital camera to show videos full screen on your telly.

I've got a pair of shure e4c's too so they're part of my portable rig, I have no need to even open the stock buds really

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemot
Nice review.

Did you find out what this fat dongle on the USB cable is for, by any chance. I still can't figure this one out...

Many people here will swear no stock earbuds are any good, for sure they do not sit well in *my* ears so I prefer to use those in-ear ones. When you have a chance you could try this player with Sennheiser MX 300 or CX 300 for instance, these are pretty good headphones.

the fat thing on the USB cable is just where the manufacturer has spliced one USB connecter onto the other part of the cord. cheaper to make them like that i guess, since many of my USB cables are the same way.

the earphones are pretty terrible though, make sure to invest in a good set of cans or you'll never know how good the ZVM can sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Does the unit have a line-out (via its USB connector)?

it has an AV-out port, which could be used as an audio line-out i suppose.

Aug 3, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 25
hey there
I just got mij ZVM this morning
I immediately put some nice electro/groove tracks on it and tested it with my etymotic ER6i's...

The sound was very poor I have to admit ,
so I started configuring the EQ , but still the sound seems poorer than my previous Sony HD5....
frown.gif

In the end I activated the Bass Boost , and I got a little phatter sound out of my ZVM , but still not that good

Anyone knows how this can happen ??

by the way , my EQ looks like this:
d_eq.jpg

cheers

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
it has an AV-out port, which could be used as an audio line-out i suppose.

There were some comments in another thread that led me to believe that this was not the case.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 25
To anyone who finds the touchpad to sensitive even on the lowest setting...Buy the pdaden silicon case. it covers the touchpad, and improves its useability greatly. Also, these things are scratch prone, search best skins ever (BSE), and you can get these clear skins less than 1mm thick that ocver your zn and will never scratch, ever!

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambro
hey there
I just got mij ZVM this morning
I immediately put some nice electro/groove tracks on it and tested it with my etymotic ER6i's...

The sound was very poor I have to admit ,
so I started configuring the EQ , but still the sound seems poorer than my previous Sony HD5....
frown.gif

In the end I activated the Bass Boost , and I got a little phatter sound out of my ZVM , but still not that good

I think it depends on what you want, if you want strong bass then its not really the right unit for you. Personally i tend to listen to rock/indie tracks over electronica or other bassy types of music. To me the Zen sounds great, its not too heavy and not too over powering, crisp and clean.

As for the whole line out thing, tbh I'm not sure. You can connect it to a TV using the same wire you get with the canon digital cameras and watch movies on there.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hulkster
To anyone who finds the touchpad to sensitive even on the lowest setting...Buy the pdaden silicon case. it covers the touchpad, and improves its useability greatly. Also, these things are scratch prone, search best skins ever (BSE), and you can get these clear skins less than 1mm thick that ocver your zn and will never scratch, ever!

I prefer the Boxwave silicone skin because it gives it a certain amount of 'grip'
so I don't feel the ZVM is about to drop to the floor.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
There were some comments in another thread that led me to believe that this was not the case.

Yes, it can be used for just audio out, just like the ipod dock connector à la Turbodock. This is a nice thread, I'll add my review here now.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 25
My thoughts:

Sounds very similar to the ipods in the house. Same mp3 files so I guess that's expected.

At the angle I view at, I prefer the ZVM screen to that of the daughters ipod video. Better color and sharper IMO.

For protection of the device, I can't recommend Invisible Shield highly enough. Fits pretty well and give me great peace of mind. Just don't need that silly pouch for protection anymore

As for the "mini dock" that comes with the player, I do use it as a "line out" for audio. Not that this confirms anything but when I use it with an amp, the volume control of the device is bypassed. For all the experts...does that make it a "true line out"??

To the controls...I find them just as easy as the ipods and have no problem whatsoever with one hand control of the menu and buttons. Pretty easy in my hands. No, the strip isn't quite as slick as the wheel but it's easy to use and get used to and gets the job done.

All in all, Creative has a winner here. Not nearly as sexy as the new ipods and yeah, it does look somewhat boxy and old school but for those of us who like to run separate from the pack, it's a look we can love. Kinda like the Karma. Ugly as sin to some but I liked the look plus the fact that it wasn't "mainstream" and all the rage. I love it when someone says..."hey, that's not an ipod...what is it?"
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 25
Impressions:

The pictures look exactly like mine (no suprise here). I think the best colour is black because it looks sexy, isn't white like the ipod, and the pink, blue and green are a bit too light for my taking.

The player's screen is gorgeous. Coming from a 160x160 ipod mini monochrome screen to this 320x240 262k colour screen is like ipod buds to my ER4s. Pictures are over-saturated, and is probabably a weakness of the screen. A higher resolution screen would have been nice, but the DPI is second only to full-sized PMPs. The screen is bright, I find it actually TOO bright unless I'm watching movies. I have it at 10% (lowest) for music and 50% for photos. The backlight is evenly distributed, and viewing is fine from every angle, but the backlight is seen best when viewed directly on.

My gripe with videos is that it is a strain to watch anything in widescreen. I watched the first DVD of Lord of the Rings The Two Towers (extended) and everything looks nice, but there's so much screen real-estate not used because of the widescreen format, thus the two black bars. To watch full-length movies, you need to make sure it's in fullscreen, or it can be a bit stressful.

I like the menu system much like that of the ipod, and being able to tap the touchpad is nice, instead of having to remove your finger from the touchwheel then clicking the select button, then back to the touch wheel. I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have major problems with the touch pad. Sometimes I miss an option by one, but overall I haven't had any major issues. You just need to get used to the interface. The four buttons around the touchpad are stiff, and i hope they get looser, but you won't press one by accident in your pocket, that's for sure.

The footprint of the player is thicker than the ipod video 30gb and 60gb by a fair margin. It feels solid, but I wouldn't have minded a slimmer player. Part of the weight must be from the extra features and better battery, which is non-user replaceable, but I assume I'll be in the market for another player before a dead battery becomes an issue.

Music quality is excellent and clear, and I find the headphone-out quality very good with all my headphones. No more amp for me. There is a audio line out on the dock connector, but I can't be bothered.

The only other gripe is that music conversion should be better explained. The ipod video only supports MPEG4 compression through special software. The ZV:M supports xvid, divx, avi, wmv to name a few, but it's restricted by size and resolution, and finding the right software is neccessary, because the bundled software won't change resolution or frame rate (max. 30 fps) for you, only the file type. I'm using WinAvi for avi to wmv/xvid conversions and AOA DVD ripper for DVD to avi. Ripping takes a long time and I'm using a fairly speedy 2.8 ghz P4 processor. I just leave it for a couple of hours and hten it's done, but that's not the player's problem.

Voice recording is fine, but it picks up the spinning up of the hard drive which can be annoying. FM tuner is great that I missed with my ipod which I had on my Rio Chiba. Autoscan is great.

I need to get a BSE and a good silicon case to protect it, but it seems to be built like a tank. The only thing missing to give it a perfect score is a user-replaceable battery and better software/documentation. Ipod killer? Yes.

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Yes, it can be used for just audio out, just like the ipod dock connector à la Turbodock. This is a nice thread, I'll add my review here now.

from epizenter.net:
Quote:

Using the Sync Adapter as a Line-Out

The Vision:M can be used as a line out by connecting a standard 3.5" plug to the sync adapter that is usually meant for a video cable. To get audio to work, go to your Photo/Video Settings under the System section and select and turn off Video Out.

the above just referred to the sync adapter (dongle), but the separately sold dock also has the same connections as the dongle, so it'll work as well....

I'm still waiting for a custom line-out mini interconnect for the ZVM to be offered from one of our above sponsors, to be used with an amp, in lieu of the headphone out. The configuration of the ZVM's docking connector is similar enough to the iPod's that it really wouldn't be that hard to do.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back