Creative Zen V Plus or Sansa E250
Dec 2, 2006 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

barrist

100+ Head-Fier
Trying to choose between the two.

Sound quality is biggest concern, so all the other features are considered but secondary.

EDIT: added the U3 to the mix...

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying to choose between the two.

Sound quality is biggest concern, so all the other features are considered but secondary.

I haven't actually listened to the Sansa with decent headphones, but with it's stock buds it seemed to be on par with most everything else. I really didn't like the physical controls of the Sansa. The wheel was very "rough" and the buttons surrounding the wheel were very hard for my big fingers to push (and I play the mandolin!).

I haven't heard the ZV even though I have one in my possesion. The controls are decent and the UI is very good, IMO. I'm sure the sound is as good as the Sansa. The Sansa seems to be one of the worst players for attracting fingerprints and scratches, as well. The ZV is much better in this regard. I don't know much about SanDisk's post-purchase support (firmware upgrades and whatnot) but Creative's has been pretty good.

All-in-all if it were me I would choose the ZV. I like the size, look, and feel of it much better. Sound quality wise, I can't tell you right now, but I would think that either will probably sound ok with well encoded files. If you're really concerned about SQ I would go with an iPod Nano > line-out dock > portable amp. That's too much of a compromise (portability wise) for me, however.

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 17
I haven't ever heard the Zen but I own a Sansa E260...

I don't find the wheel bad at all. I actually like the tactile feedback you get from a wheel that turns. Mine isn't clunky at all. I agree that the buttons are on the small side but once I got used to pushing them I had no problem.

I've compared the sound of the Sansa to my (now sold) iRiver H340 with both my Ety ER-6i's (unamped) and my Darth Beyers (amped). The differences were VERY slight with the advantage going to the iRiver... but only JUST (bass on the iRiver was slightly tighter)

As for scratches and fingerprints... I haven't managed to scratch mine at all yet. The back is made from something called 'liquid metal' that seems VERY scratch resistant. The front seems pretty resistant too. Fingerprints are a problem and if you live in a dusty environment it's pretty easy for dust to get under the screen (fairly easily cleaned though).

A lot of reviews of the Sandisc unit out there are using the original firmware which was crap at best. The latest versions are much more stable and I haven't had any problems at all with mine.

Good luck.

Paul

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 17
Album Art is something very important to me as well, does anyone else know any flash based players that support this feature? Here my small list... still didn't manage to decide between these:
-Sandisk Sansa e200
-Samsung YP-Z5F
-iPod Nano (poo
wink.gif
)

For example whats up with the iAudio 6? I like it a lot, but ... no album art, right?
frown.gif

Any other high sw players flash bases (at least 4 gig) with album art support then?

cross

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Album Art is something very important to me as well, does anyone else know any flash based players that support this feature? Here my small list... still didn't manage to decide between these:
-Sandisk Sansa e200
-Samsung YP-Z5F
-iPod Nano (poo
wink.gif
)

For example whats up with the iAudio 6? I like it a lot, but ... no album art, right?
frown.gif

Any other high sw players flash bases (at least 4 gig) with album art support then?

cross

Zen V supports album art.

Really, if the U3 had album art support, it would be my hand's down #1 choice.

Dec 4, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 17
Well after some thought, I'm not getting any of the ones I listed
eggosmile.gif
I think I'm going to go for the Meizu M6.

Someone intervene if they think i'm making a mistake

thanks

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 17
I just found out there's one more to add, the Trekstor Vibez also has Album Art support, but is disk based wit 8GB/12GB.

Hmm three times the space of a Samsung Z5, but said to have worse soundquality than a z5... What to do
blink.gif

cross

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found out there's one more to add, the Trekstor Vibez also has Album Art support, but is disk based wit 8GB/12GB.

Hmm three times the space of a Samsung Z5, but said to have worse soundquality than a z5... What to do
blink.gif

cross

I also read this about the Vibez: Quote:

Although MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG, and FLAC files are supported out of the box, you'll need to buy separate modules if you want to endow these units with an FM tuner or video playback (add-on cards featuring either the former or both the former and the latter will be available next year).

add-on cards? eww.

Dec 5, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
add-on cards? eww.

You said it... eww.
plainface.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 17
The spec on Zen is supposed to be the best - industry leader.
Comes with upsampling software to 192.

With headphones like Koss Ksr75, or Grado 60, this one sounds pretty smooth like an upscale audio piece, with the upsampling upgrade.

Quite acceptable sound, if you ask me.

Sanse got a bad write up in cnet for their sound quality.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansa too has user replaceable battery (cost $19.99).

But Sansa is also having backgroung noise with highly sensitive headphones and at low levels. -> No thanks, not for me, couldn't stand this. (I like to listen at night in the bed, too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back