Creative Zen Stone
May 3, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #16 of 51
It looks like a great value compared to the iPod shuffle for someone that wants a basic player. I just read pcmag's review of it and two small issues I would have with it are no support for subscription services and the start up time, neither are that important to most people though.

May 4, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 51
I wouldn't be using this type of player as an "archive" for my entire music collection -- I have other players for that. I would merely be using it as a highly portable, pocketable "delivery system" for music on the go. And since I would be the one selecting songs to be dragged and dropped onto the player, I would know what I was listening to ... thus, no screen, album art, VU meters, snapshots, TV shows, etc. would be required.

For me (other people's mileage may vary), since I don't download music but instead rip music from CDs and keep it in my PC, and since I play in "random" or "shuffle" mode more often than any other, a player like this is fine for many purposes. If I want to listen to new music or old favorites at work, if I want to carry around a highly portable player "just in case," or if I want to lend a player that is relatively replaceable to a friend, a 1GB player with no screen has its good points. (I do doubt that I would have a player like this or the iPod Shuffles as an only player ... and I wouldn't want a 4GB or greater player without a screen.)

I took the bait and ordered one today -- we'll see (hear) how it goes.

May 4, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 51
definitely interested in sound quality. the shuffle packs great quality, so let's see if the Stone can compare.

@LaBreadHead: I see your point, but I think it'd be useful to even have a small, 3-line kind of screen, just in case you want to look for a certain song.

May 4, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #20 of 51
"LaBreadHead: I see your point, but I think it'd be useful to even have a small, 3-line kind of screen, just in case you want to look for a certain song."

Yeah -- the Samsung YP-U2 has a small screen (it's the same shape/form as the 1st generation iPod Shuffle). IMO, the YP-U2 and the first Shuffle have good sound -- I haven't heard the 2nd generation Shuffle. I have the YP-U2 ... so why am I getting a Creative Zen Stone?!?! I guess I read way too many of the threads in these forums.

May 4, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the YP-U2 ... so why am I getting a Creative Zen Stone?!?! I guess I read way too many of the threads in these forums.

try explaining why you "need" a new one every few months to a pair of stingy parents...i'm on my 15th player with the Zune.

They keychain is actually a really great idea, I think. If I had keys, I think I might look into it...put on a pair of those wind-up, retractable earbuds also...never have to worry about not having music...pretty good idea, right?

May 4, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i still can't believe there's a market for players without screens. I realize these players sell rather well, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

i think the market for players without screens is a great idea. just because you don't think it's viable doesn't mean no one else does
wink.gif
. just kidding. but seriously, these players without screens are GREAT for working out. who needs to look at the screen every few minutes when they are running or lifting weights or whatever you do for workouts (eating, sleeping, bathroom things...
icon10.gif
) it's definitely not enough to have the zen stone or the shuffle as your ONLY player but its great for working out. now i know that you may counter with, "why don't you just get a really cheap mp3 player?" well my answer to that is "material assurance"
wink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #23 of 51
fair enough. my workout player is the Creative MuVo TX FM. it has the screen, AAA battery, UMS, and it even comes with an armband. not the most comfortable thing, but it sure as heck beats paying $10 for one. then again, it was only 256 megs...

May 4, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #24 of 51
does anyone else feel like creative really skimped on coloring the zen stone? i feel like the player looks really tacky with the same color controls. it would look so much nicer if the control pad area was distinguishable from the rest of the player. but then i guess...it wouldn't be a stone anymore. :p

May 4, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #25 of 51
Looks pretty good imo. The price is super, skipping by folder is a great idea, size is small enough, and it looks pretty attractive to me. The biggest question mark in my mind is the sound quality. I found the sound quality of the stone's bigger brother, the Zen V, disappointing, and I have a feeling that the stone won't sound better.

May 4, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #26 of 51
I have samsung U2 , but I feel the sound is mediocre as its bass is boomy and lacking some of the fine details. However, it has nice mid and perform good in its price range.

May 4, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone else feel like creative really skimped on coloring the zen stone? i feel like the player looks really tacky with the same color controls. it would look so much nicer if the control pad area was distinguishable from the rest of the player. but then i guess...it wouldn't be a stone anymore. :p

Well , I think the control pad is fine and like how they put the ideas of "zen" and "stone" together. This is the first creative mp3 player that I am quite impressed (desregard the SQ btw
tongue.gif
)

May 4, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #29 of 51
For me in SQ 1G Shuffle > Zen Micro > Samsung U2 > 2G Shuffle

I think the Zen Stone should offer great SQ and be better choice than a 2G shuffle which I don't like. Ours is hissy with some earphones, horrible sharp edges and a dumb dock. SQ is worst than the 1G IMO.

The Samsung U2 isn't as good SQ as a 1G IMO, but the flexibiility of having a screen and a USB plug and other features make it much more useful. I dislike touch-input systems like on the iRiver S10, traditional directional pads with tactile buttons are much superior IMO.

I think you should only compare a Stone, Shuffle with other screenless players though, as players with screen are a different product entirely. I'd put up with the lack of a screen if I got fantastic SQ as on the Shuffle 1G. However I'd prefer a screen otherwise. But its down to personal choice and how you use it at the end of the day.

May 4, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraEvo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone do a comparision of the creative stone and k3?

Why, its a complete different type of player.
blink.gif
Once tactile buttons and no screen so you don't have to look at it for in the gym or running etc. The other has no tactile buttons and a screen so you have to take it out and look at it. Sweaty hands don't work will with touch controls in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back