Creative Zen Sleek (mini Review-ish)
Aug 22, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #18 of 91
The supplied carry pouch is very poor to be honest, I was expecting a proper case but this will have to do until I oreder a Noreve case.
I heard somewhere that It was UMS compatible but I will try to find out more information about that. As for me planning to keep this, yes I think I will be holding onto this for a year a two. I not to worried about features such as ogg, colour screen or video playback. All I really needed was an FM radio and good sound

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
In the description of the dock for the Zen Sleek, it mentions that it has a line out port. This opens the door for a dongle to get the line out. Just like the iPod.

Yes it does, which is pleasing

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
I heard somewhere that It was UMS compatible but I will try to find out more information about that.

On their website, Creative Labs mentions the features of the Zen Sleek:

Features:
FM radio, FM recorder and voice recorder
Contacts, calendar and tasks
Repeat, resume, and random play
5-band graphic equalizer
Functions as an external hard drive

Functions as an external hard drive is all the details they will give. Whatever that means is anyone's guess but I assume they mean without software.

blink.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
On their website, Creative Labs mentions the features of the Zen Sleek:

Features:
FM radio, FM recorder and voice recorder
Contacts, calendar and tasks
Repeat, resume, and random play
5-band graphic equalizer
Functions as an external hard drive

Functions as an external hard drive is all the details they will give. Whatever that means is anyone's guess but I assume they mean without software.

blink.gif

The Zen Sleek allows a 16GB removable disc option, I'm not to sure what thats all about to be honest

Aug 22, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
The Zen Sleek allows a 16GB removable disc option, I'm not to sure what thats all about to be honest

You need to specifically set how much space you want to use for data. The space allocated for data can't be used for music and vice a versa. once space has been allocated for data, just connected to a machine with no Creative drivers and see if it appears as an external HD and allow you to copy to it using windows explorer. If it does then its UMS. If it prompts you for the drivers, then it isn't.

Aug 22, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #24 of 91
Quote:

...Functions as an external hard drive is all the details they will give. Whatever that means is anyone's guess but I assume they mean without software...

If it's the same as the Zen Micro, you have to go to Extras -> Removeable Disk to get the External Harddrive-mode

Also, the pc doesn't need any drivers to recognize the ZM in this mode.

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #26 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
The Zen Micro isn't UMS. (At least mine isn't) You need a driver even for data. I thought I read somewhere that there is a newer firmware that enables UMS (for data) without a driver, but I haven't had a chance to find and/or try it.

The Micro (and Sleek and Zen 20GB) is UMS when in Removable Disk mode. This means it acts as a removable drive, just as a USB flash memory drive does.

However, the player itself cannot access any files that are stored on the Removable Disk partition. It is only useful for storage/transfer of files. You need software to transfer music that is playable on the player.

In addition, you can store data files without enabling Removable Disk mode - but you need special software to access files with this method. This method is therefore redundant on these newer players.

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #27 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotBugMe
The Micro (and Sleek and Zen 20GB) is UMS when in Removable Disk mode. This means it acts as a removable drive, just as a USB flash memory drive does.

However, the player itself cannot access any files that are stored on the Removable Disk partition. It is only useful for storage/transfer of files. You need software to transfer music that is playable on the player.

In addition, you can store data files without enabling Removable Disk mode - but you need special software to access files with this method. This method is therefore redundant on these newer players.

Great! This is exactly as a suspected, but I was thrown for a loop when Sparky191 said the his Zen Micro was not UMS.

This setup allows Creative Labs to offer UMS without feeling like it is encouraging music distribution and piracy. It's alomost like the iPod in that you can transfer music files to the iPod from your computer but cannot transfer music from the iPod to another computer.

rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 91
Quote:

It's alomost like the iPod in that you can transfer music files to the iPod from your computer but cannot transfer music from the iPod to another computer.

rolleyes.gif

well u could put the music into the removable disc area to transfer it if u know what songs you want to move.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #29 of 91
On my Micro I read a tip on this board to set the sensitivity of the touch pad to HIGH for best control. Strange as it sounded it really worked!! Perhaps the same will work for the Sleek.

I will probably get one when I can. I really like the sound of the Mini with my UM2's!

Aug 23, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #30 of 91
Quote:

Great! This is exactly as a suspected, but I was thrown for a loop when Sparky191 said the his Zen Micro was not UMS.....

Apologies, but I've only had mine a week and I'm still playing with it. I didn't realise you had to turn on the Disk mode to use it without drivers, DOH. Just tried this and it does work as a UMS in that mode. Sorry.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back