Creative Zen or Ipod Touch 32GB?
Apr 8, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 18
the zen sucks right now. the zen will probably suck in the future. (firmware problems and creative as a company now sucks)

are there ANY other choices?
can you think of any other player that you like the thought of?

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 18
I've owned a Zen and an iPod Touch. Didn't keep either of them for various reasons.

The Touch does have gapless, which the Zen doesn't have. The Zen has dedicated play/pause/next/previous buttons (as in, actual buttons), which the Touch doesn't have (you can't really operate a touchscreen in your pocket, and shouldn't operate one while driving.)

The Zen has very bright sound, the Touch is a little darker.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 18
First off, I own a Zen, and I can't honestly recommend it. In fact I'm going to be selling mine for a Sony NWZ-A728, and this is mainly because of the SQ and the bad build Quality.

I've also heard an iPod touch and I can positively say it sounds worse than the Zen. Do not get the touch if you care about SQ at all.

If you don't really need 32 gigs of space, get the 16 gig Sony NWZ-A820 series. It has bluetooth and a 2.4" screen, and is supposed to have fantastic SQ.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the Cowon D2? it can reach 40 gig of flash memory with the 32 gig SDHC card and it's an awesome little player.

x2 for that too

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by outbreak123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes you're right. but i think iPod touch SQ is pretty good, but sony is better though. IMO iPod touch doesn't sound as bad as you said, but zen sure suck tho.

Seriously? How? Did you hear it amped or something?

And @OP, Cowon really rocks. But beware the UI.

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 18
Hi everybody!
I own a Zen (16 GB) and have owned a touch (also 16Gb) for a couple weeks. As far as SQ goes, they both sound very well, it just depends on what you prefer. The ipod sounded very focussed on middle freq., giving it a warm sound, whereas my zen sounds clearer but has less bass than the ipod.
My Zen seems very well built, but it's also very light, giving it a rather cheap feel.
At the end it depends on if you're willing to pay the price for the extra-features apple has to offer, such as wifi and a bigger screen. Creative has reduced prices significantly, the 16 gb goes for $180 now, so that's an argument...

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebenstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Hi everybody!
I own a Zen (16 GB) and have owned a touch (also 16Gb) for a couple weeks. As far as SQ goes, they both sound very well...."

No offense, but have you listened to a Zune, or better yet, a Sony A8XX or A6XX series DAP? If not, I highly suggest you don't, the experience might pop that little bubble your living in. Again, no offense...
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Sonys are overpriced and ugly imho, and quite sadly Microsoft has followed apple's example of fu*k-you-over format policy, so, nah.

Sonys (the newer ones, from the A80x and later models) are definitely not overpriced considering the stellar SQ you get from them. They also look really nice (but that's just my personal opinion of course - though I know many agree), and are easy and smooth to use. Battery life is really good as well. And they don't force you to do anything, you can use any program you like to transfer music, or just drag-n-drop.
"Overpriced" is just another word for "iPod"...

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Sonys are overpriced and ugly imho, and quite sadly Microsoft has followed apple's example of fu*k-you-over format policy, so, nah.

I asked if you had Listened to, not Looked at, a Zune or AXXX. Audio quality is top priority, atleast to me. I could handle listening to a DAP that looked like a tin can, if the audio quality could justify it.

As for the Sony, beauty is in the eye of beholder, and these eyes find the Sony's to be somewhat attractive, the A8XX moreso than the A6XX.

Also, the Zune supports AAC, MP3, WMA, WMA Loseless. Those four are plenty enough for me.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sonys (the newer ones, from the A80x and later models) are definitely not overpriced considering the stellar SQ you get from them. They also look really nice (but that's just my personal opinion of course - though I know many agree), and are easy and smooth to use. Battery life is really good as well. And they don't force you to do anything, you can use any program you like to transfer music, or just drag-n-drop.
"Overpriced" is just another word for "iPod"...

Zen 32Gb=$300, Sony 16Gb=$300.
I take that into consideration. And I'm not an iPod-fan, don't get me wrong.

Quote:

Also, the Zune supports AAC, MP3, WMA, WMA Loseless. Those four are plenty enough for me.

What I meant was Microsoft's move away from PFS. #1 reason for me not to get a zune. I'd very much prefer a drag and drop that the sonys feature, plus subscription compatability. And yes, I've listened to a zune. Yes, they sound terrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back