Creative Zen Micro Replacement
Feb 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tjweaver

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to replace my Creative Zen Micro. I'd like more storage space - the 4 gigs just aren't enough and I'm hoping for 20GB +. I am really happy with the sound on this player and I'm using Shure E3c's (which I really like but I know a lot of listeners on here don't care for them - maybe someday i'll upgrade to the 4's or some UM2's but money is a factor right now). I don't really listen to much hip hop, dance, house or other really base heavy stuff, maybe some Beastie Boys here and there - but the low end hasn't been that much of an issue for me. I really like clean sound and to my untrained ears the Zen Micro and the E3c's give me clean sound.

I'm curious how the sound of the Zen Micro compares with the sound of the new Creative players. I don't want to take a step backwards in SQ if the new players don't sound as well.

In hopes of finding better sound I'm also looking at some of the Cowon players with interest. Could anyone comment on how the cowon players (X5, A2) compare to creative?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your input

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 12
I've said before how I no longer like the E3's -- except with players that have good EQ capability. The Cowons would certainly meet that criterion -- you can EQ them endlessly.

It will be interesting to hear what people say about the sound of the Creative ZVM -- one would think it would have at least the capability of the Micro, but I haven't heard them. I hope people who have heard both weigh in.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 12
I have a zen micro and a zen vision:m. The vision:m is still available with a $50 rebate (ends up being $175) at buy.com or newegg.com. I don't notice a difference in quality, but maybe my ears aren't trained well enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 12
if you wish to stick with creative and are only interested in sound, i'd recommend the Zen Sleek Photo. I found the sound much better than that of the Zen Vision: M's.

Cowon's sound is MUCH better than that of Creative's. I had the X5 and I loved it. Great sound, great player. Never had one problem with it. I now own a Cowon D2. It's sound is as good as ever.

Never heard the A2, but I've heard only good things about it's quality as well.

Feb 12, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 12
"LaBreaHead: what headphones are you currently using?"

Etymotics ER6i, Sennheiser PX100, Koss PortaPro and Creative EP630's ... on the go or around home with a Rio Carbon, iPod 2nd gen. Nano, Samsung YP-U2 and an old Sony PCDP. The Shure E3s worked well for me with the Rio Carbon and particularly a Rio Karma ... didn't like how they sounded with two different iPods and the PCDP; I keep wishing I had just gone straight to the E4s instead of the E3s (my friend's V-Moda Vibes sounded much better than the E3s, to my ears, on the CD player and the two iPods). It's all subjective, of course ...

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the info on your headphone choses.

Quote:

creative zen vision m

What is it about the zen vision m you like. Does it sound as good as the micro, better; as good ad the cowon players, better?

Thanks

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Does the Cowon d2 have actual buttons on the side so you can use it without taking it out of your pocket? It looks like a great player but the touch screen concerns me for carefree use on the go.

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 12
I'd recommend the Zen Vision: M as well, it has better sound then the Micro, and i prefer it above Cowon's X5. The Vision: M has clearer highs, and vocals sound much more transparent compared to the X5. The X5 sounded a lot darker to my ears. Of course you can EQ it (wich is the X5's strenght) but i'd like it unequalized.

Also when you compare the prices of the players i really think the Zen Vision: M is the winner for you. (In the netherlands the ZV:M costs €230 and the X5 €300, don't know if its different elsewhere)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back