Creative Zen Info.
Sep 25, 2007 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SpaceMonkey

Head-Fier
For the people out their considering a zen due to the SD Card option, heres a brief summary of how it works.

Its from a review model, so it might have been fixed on the public release version. I dont actually have an SD Card so cant test it out.

Here is how the SD card works. In order to use media (video, photos, or audio) you must go to the "Memory Card" menu on the player. When in this menu you can browse the media by typical file folder browsing, but ID3 browsing cannot be enabled. All media is playable by selecting, but you don't have the same options, such as "view details", "lookup artist", "remove", "save as playlist", "add to playlist", and "set bookmark", as you would if you were in the main library To add insult to injury, if you have a short cut key set to the Now Playing screen, it will take you to an empty Now Playing screen and stop your music. If you are playing music from the SD card, just moving to any other part of the menu will stop the music.

That the SD slot is pretty much useless really kills this player for me. If you had hopes of using the SD slot to expand your memory, you should avoid the Zen until this is fixed. Other MP3 player makers such as Cowon and SanDisk got this right, so there is no excuse as to why the SD slot cannot be fully integrated into the main library on the Zen.

If anyone has a zen and has used the SD Card function, please let us know if the above coments are true.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Sandisk may integrate the contents with the main library but there's a terrible delay every boot time while it scans the card contents. I wonder if that will be fixed with their new 16Gb View.

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 8
I suggest everyone that is looking at the ZEN also take a look at the Samsung Yp-P2, appears it will be a very good product.

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Confirmed that when you try to leave the Memory Card Browse menu, music will stop playing. This is with the newest firmware. Not a big deal for me, since i only use the SD card to hold movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back