Creative, You break my heart!
Nov 8, 2004 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Vault

100+ Head-Fier
Just looked at the launch price for the Zen Micro in Singapore.

Zen Micro: SG$529.
iPod Mini: SG$458

I know there is an extra Gig in there, but still.
blink.gif

Here again was an opportunity for Creative to shift the game and take it to Apple but they have decided to take a bizzare pricing model. Interestingly enough you can buy the 20Gig Zen Touch for SG$499.

Really was looking forward to getting a Zen Micro too.

frown.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 15
http://creativex.creative.com/promos...p?cat=exchange

Hey vault, they are exchanging an ipod(any generation) for a zen micro for free! (limited to 1st 5 customers though) but it gets ridiculous for the last 50 though, you have to pay another SIN$399 (US$235) + your ipod to get the zen micro.

Nov 8, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 15
the trade-in promotion seems nice. should make it more than 5 people though because the mini definitely has more popularity than zen. but oh well.

Nov 8, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 15
retailers usually sell below msrp.
cool.gif

the zen micro has a lot going for it.
5gb vs 4gb
12hrs vs 8 hrs playback
highly-rated sound from the zen series
radio
mic recording
removable battery

imo, these features would more than make up the price difference from the ipod mini. the ipod wheel, design and itunes will have its fans tho.
biggrin.gif

but does it function as a ums device? i know most zen doesn't.
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 15
Some countires (I believe mainly in Asia) will also get a free remote and it will be availavle as optional remote elsewhere. Also, some limited edition Zen Micros will include a 2nd battery for free.

Sounds like a good deal to me...

icon10.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 15
True, true I do agree with most of the posters here. The street price will be lower (but not much from what I've seen here) and yes you do get a nice remote and the radio. But features don't move this market. Price and a funky design seem to.

So when Creative do come up with a winning design, they have chopped themselves off at the knees when people look at the two devices side by side.

Zen: Unknown quantity + higher price = no sale
iPod: Known performer + lower price = no brainer, safe decision.

I'm no Apple fan-boy (my Gf has one, I have an iRiver imp550) but from a marekting perspective you want to take mindshare away from Apple. This doesn't help.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 15
I just bought the Zen Touch for S$439, where else the MSRP for the Zen Touch is S$499...So perhaps we could expect the Zen Micro to sell slight above s$ 460? Just speculating though, take my words with a pinch of salt....

( Damn if they could somehow manage to squeeze 20 gig into the shell of the Zen Micro, ill be the first in line to get it....oh well.....i think it beats the ipod mini in design, but that's just me.....*puts flame-proof suit on* )

tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil
I just bought the Zen Touch for S$439, where else the MSRP for the Zen Touch is S$499...So perhaps we could expect the Zen Micro to sell slight above s$ 460? Just speculating though, take my words with a pinch of salt...

Wow I'd be interested to know where you got that price from? For what it's worth I like the Micro's styling too.
etysmile.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vault
Just looked at the launch price for the Zen Micro in Singapore.

Zen Micro: SG$529.
iPod Mini: SG$458

I know there is an extra Gig in there, but still.
blink.gif

Here again was an opportunity for Creative to shift the game and take it to Apple but they have decided to take a bizzare pricing model. Interestingly enough you can buy the 20Gig Zen Touch for SG$499.

Really was looking forward to getting a Zen Micro too.

frown.gif

In case you don't know, Zen Micro selling for US$249 in USA, just exactly the same price as iPod mini.

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeeyy
In case you don't know, Zen Micro selling for US$249 in USA, just exactly the same price as iPod mini.

Yeah, Creative Labs is charging the same prince and banking on the extra 1GB of space, built-in FM radio, recordable radio, voice recorder, extra color choices, removable longer battery, PDA extras, etc. as major selling points against the iPod Mini.

Something tells me that no matter how good the Zen Micro is (or all the other new 5GB players recently released i.e. Rio Carbon, Olympus, Virgin, Mpio) Apple will still dominate the market due to brand name recognition and strong advertising.

rolleyes.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 15
Hi Vault!

FYI, i got it at Fuwell @ SLS.....hope the price hasnt changed since i got it...

Good luck!
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Nice one Wil! Ta!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back