Creative X-Fi USB, how is it?
Nov 26, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 9
How does Alchemy modify the sound? I'm not really sure how creative software works anymore. I just have an old Sound Blaster.

I'm just looking for more responsive positional sounds in games.

For example, someone is in front of me shooting, and when I turn to the right, the sound should be more intense in the left channel. Unfortunately when using the 2move, the sound takes a while to adjust and there is a very noticeable and annoying delay.

Is Alchemy necessary to correct this?

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 9
i'm using this card right now. Sound quality is ok for this price range.however it has a problem, everytime when you plug earphone into the card, sound out of optical and analog will muted or decrease because of its low power (it's usb powered). Hope that help. Kevin

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 9
i'm interested in this one as well. people claim that taking the audio components as far away from motherboard electronics is a good thing (hell, the asus has that shield).

i'm not so much a gamer but definitely a movie watcher. someone on newegg claimed he had lag he noticed while watching movies, gaming (IIRC). i might play the occasional WoW but i could switch audio inputs for that...

edit: coming from my beloved Chaintech AV-710 that just died
frown.gif
i so wish i'd bough a 5pack of them or something...

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 9
To my knowledge, the X-fi "notebook" expresscard (34 or 54) is ideal for those who are primarily gaming with headphones. If you would prefer to have even the slightest option of using it for music at any point, however, I would look at the 5.1 usb version. The expresscard "flavor" lacks an optical out, only has a headphone out, and while it can handle 24 bit recordings, it only samples at 48Khz, yet is $30 more expensive than the more feature-rich USB variety. Since you are using it primarily for gaming, however, it may more accurately suit your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back