Creative X-Fi Titanium HD headphone/2.1 speaker splitting problem help? New sound card replacement?
Jan 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RedJokr

New Head-Fier
So i bought a Titanium HD sound card a few weeks ago mainly for its gaming benefits. I use it with my HD598 headphones. But i also have a Klipsch 2.1 pro media speaker setup, that i like to switch to often.

I have a few problems here with this setup. First the Klipsch 2.1 speakers cant plug into this sound card because its a single 3.5mm jack, instead of 2 RCA's. So for the meanwhile i've been plugging them into the headphone jack. Would I have to buy a splitter for my 2.1 speaker in order to work well with this soundcard? What kind?

The other problem is I cant have both plugged into the sound card at the same time and switch between them via drivers/control panel.  So every time i want to listen to my speakers i have to get down on all 4's and go in the back of my computer and switchout the headphone for the speakers.

I'm mainly wondering what the best way to get all this to work the best is. And if there is no way to NOT manually switch the cables every time. Wouldn't i have to get 2 splitters for this setup to work correctly?

I will return this card and get another one if i have to, which card would you best recommend for competitive gaming/videos  and my audio peripherals (HD598/Klipsch 2.1)?

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't think there is a way to circumvent that issue.  Maybe try using a headphone splitter?  The new Z series cards allow you to switch between the headphones and speakers via software.  That and all of the Z series cards have a built in headphone amp.  Hope that helps!

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I don't think there is a way to circumvent that issue.  Maybe try using a headphone splitter?  The new Z series cards allow you to switch between the headphones and speakers via software.  That and all of the Z series cards have a built in headphone amp.  Hope that helps!

I would say return the Titanium HD and get the Sound Blaster Z or Zx
Technically the Titanium HD is a better audio quality sound card, but the headphone jack has a high impedance (35-Ohm) and no headphone amp.
Where as the Sound Blaster Z/Zx has a low 10-ohm impedance :) and a true headphone amplifier.
The Sound Blaster Z/Zx's CS4398 DAC chip may not be as good a DAC as the Titanium HD's PCM1794,
but the CS4398 is still considered a good DAC chip.
And with the Sound Blaster Z/Zx, you can leave the headphones and speaker plugged in at the same time.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 5
The best solution would be to connect a switch of some kind to the RCA outputs that then has dual 3.5mm TRS outputs leading to your speakers and headphones. 3.5mm TRS-dual RCA adapter cables may be necessary on both ends if you can only find RCA switches.

I still can't believe that Creative didn't make it a software option on the Titanium HD like they did on all the other cards (and Auzentech with their X-Fi offerings). I just happen to be fortunate in that it doesn't bother me as a headphone-only user, and if I needed to add speakers to my setup, I'd probably connect them to the receiver that's powering my current headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back