Creative X-Fi HD USB just doesn't understand PS3
Aug 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

PMAP

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, long time no see!

I've spent the last 7 hours experimenting and researching with no effect. I'm trying to hook up my new PS3 to my Creative X-Fi HD USB card via optical cable. Note the card is purely stereo only, no DD/DTS/5.1/whatever capabilities.

I set my PS3 to use optical out, with only 44.1 and 48 kHz stereo (it can also output 88.2/176.4 stereo, DD, DTS and AAC, all that is disabled). I get sound from the X-Fi only when browsing through PS3's menus and audio CD playback. When I insert a DVD, BD or a game, I get no sound from the sound card whatsoever.

PS3 also has a way to 'force' 2.0 stereo upon the optical output by first selecting another output and then enabling alternative outputs as well, but that doesn't change anything.

Creative control panels always indicates incoming 48 kHz signal from the PS3.

FiiO D3 Taishan can play sound from the PS3 even from BDs, DVDs and games.

Any ideas why the X-Fi HD USB can't read sound from PS3? I've read a lot of suggestions, but all seem to be related to other sound cards (internal, 5.1 etc.). Only this review mentions the exact same problem and the owner wasn't able to resolve it.

I'd like to use optical on the sound card since line-in is blocked with other stuff.

Thanks. I don't really think I'll be able to do anything about it, but it's an interesting problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back