Creative X-Fi Flexijack Question!
Sep 5, 2009 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DeusEx

Headphoneus Supremus
Quick Question- I have a X-Fi Fatal1ty Extremegamer Pro, it has a "flexijack" port for "digital" connections, it's actually a 1/8th jack, as I've tried sticking in a 1/8th -> RCA cable, and it fits. My question is, I'm still deciding on a DAC (Compass...), and in the meantime, I want to be able to at least use my Energy RC-10 bookshelf speakers with my PC. I have an Onkyo stereo integrated amplifier, and I was wondering if I could hook up the sound card to the amp via a 1/8th -> RCA stereo cable, and then the amp to bookshelves (naturally).

This is the cable I have:
PREMIUM 3FT 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable

Basically what I'm asking, is, can the Creative proprietary Flexijack port pass an analog signal to the amp? If not, can I use one of the 3 3.5mm jacks (that are usually used for speakers)?
And when you guys are at it, can it also pass SPDIF? (Optical)...Creative is really vague here, they say "digital"...

I'm using Windows 7 RTM, with Creative Beta Win7 drivers.

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 19
X-Fi has digital electrical out on the flexijack, I think you need 3.5mm mono to single RCA cable. But not sure if using a standard 3.5mm stereo to stereo RCA works (just use one of the coax cables) You could use the standard left/right analogue out to any analogue input. Is your Onkyo a stereo integrated amplifier or a AV Amplifier? If it's the latter you can't send it a digital signal

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X-Fi has digital electrical out on the flexijack, I think you need 3.5mm mono to single RCA cable. But not sure if using a standard 3.5mm stereo to stereo RCA works (just use one of the coax cables) You could use the standard left/right analogue out to any analogue input. Is your Onkyo a stereo integrated amplifier or a AV Amplifier? If it's the latter you can't send it a digital signal

It's a stereo integrated, I believe, but without any digital inputs. You mean the former, right? Only AV Receivers have built-in DACs.

3.5mm mono to single RCA? Wouldn't that only give me 1 channel, then? Since I'm going X-Fi (3.5mm mono)->(stereo RCA) amp.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 19
The cable you showed, would be used to conenct the 3.5 analog output from the card to the analog input on your amplifier.

If you want to go digital to your amplifier, then you might be able to use that cable. The 3.5 side would connect to the flexi jack and one side -the white IIRC, would have the digital signal.
I have used those cables for a quick patch on other cards for digital. Not an optimal solution but it should work although I would think analog conneciton would be easier.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable you showed, would be used to conenct the 3.5 analog output from the card to the analog input on your amplifier.

So the flexijack can send analog, right?

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the flexijack can send analog, right?

No,that cable you linked to is can be used for connecting up a 3.5mm analog output to a set of RCA inputs on receiver or other devices.
Why don't you just use theis for analog connection?

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

No,that cable you linked to is usually used for conencting up a 3.5mm analog output to a set of RCA inputs on receiver or other devices.
Why not just use this?

The X-Fi I have doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. Only 3 RCAs, and a "flexijack"

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 19
The one you linked to in your first post has 3.5mm mini jacks. Is this not the same card?

For your orginal quesitons:
No the Flexi-jack is NOT an analog output, it is an analog input for Mic and Line and also supports digital I/O.

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 19
OK, quick and easy:

You should be able to use that cable to pass a digital signal from the flexi-jack to your receiver. Although not the right cable for the job it should work.
The minijack on the cable goes to your X-fi and one of the RCA on the other end will be the digital out. IIRC, it is the white one.
I have used these cables before for a test patch.

@Iriverdude, have you ever used on of these cables on the X-fi for a digital connection?
They usually work when you don't have the 3.5 to mono RCA...

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 19
@Duex, you can do what you want but it IMO, would be much easier to just use that cable to connect one the front channel output on the card to your receiver. Probably save you a headache trying to get the driver config.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 19
NOTE: I'm going to use the X-Fi's DAC, since I don't own a external DAC for my computer at the moment. And the Onkyo is an integrated amp, not a receiver (no DAC)

What I've tried now is using the front ch output per your suggestion, it works, but I only get sound from the right channel...which is strange, since doesn't the front channel output include both left and right?

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Well the if your Onkyo has no DAC, then a digital connection from your X-fi to this unit is not possible. Unless I am mis-understanding what your saying.

Yes, if your connecting this cable form the front output of the card to the left anf right inputs on this receiver you shoudl have stereo sound. Provided everything is connected and configured properly and the cable is not faulty.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Well the if your Onkyo has no DAC, then a digital connection from your X-fi to this unit is not possible. Unless I am mis-understanding what your saying.

Yes, if your connecting this cable form the front output of the card to the left anf right inputs on this receiver you shoudl have stereo sound. Provided everything is connected and configured properly and the cable is not faulty.

Yes, that is why I'm using the analog 3.5mm output instead. Now that we've established that the flexijack can't send an analog signal to the amp. I never asked for a digital connection, only if it could send analog.

Very strange, it doesn't work. Only the right ch has sound. Cable's fine, so is amp and speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back