Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1 ---> Audigy 2, worthwhile?
Apr 9, 2004 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

GreenFloyd

Head-Fier
I have a 4.1 setup (Logitech z560) and Sony MDR-CD780 phones (without amp).

Would the $70 oem price tag for the Audigy 2 be worth the upgrade in sound quality??

Thanks!!

Apr 9, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 24
I have the z560 also, and I highly recommend the Audigy 2 over the SB Live!
But its more focused in the gaming area.

Apr 10, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 24
Personally, I got the TBSC over an SBLive and even THAT was an improvement. I had nothing but problems with my SBLive.

Apr 10, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 24
i have an audigy 2...
mainly because it allows me to have dvd-audio on my desktop....

even though its sound may not be as good as some of the more pro sound cards,

dvd-audio on an audigy 2 DEFINITELY beats any kind of sound off any other sound card that doestn support dvd-a

once u start listening to high resolution dvd-a, cds, and even worse, mp3s, seem totally terrble

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 24
Why is it bad for music
frown.gif
?

It's not WORSE than the SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 is it? How could it be?

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 24
I've actually heard from some that the Audigy 2 is WORSE for music when compared to the TBSC. Still, it's definitely your ultimate gaming card, with EAX 3.0 and all.

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 24
was using built-in Soundstorm from my Abit NF7S mobo with sony cd780, then last week got myself a Prodigy 7.1 sound card & it was big improvement.BTW, I'm using a cheapo ($10) stereo pc spks. with h/p jack (as h/p amp, with upgraded pana/elna caps replacing those found inside the spk.) & its definetely better than plugging the h/p directly to the sound card.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 24
The audigy 2 is better than the TBSC, and sblive definetly by a long shot. The downfalls of the audigy 2 are its music, but it is better than a lot of cards out there, it is a very good card, but if games or dvd audio don't interest you, then don't bother with it.

Audigy 2 also requires some tweaking to get good music output from it, using foobar for example re-sampling audio to 48khz etc bypassing kmixer, once you set it up properly it is a pretty good card. But if you want pure music SQ, look elsewhere.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 24
What's a good PURE music Sound Card then? I'm much more concerned with my music than my games. I have a 4.1 setup btw, will the Audigy 2 or whichver card improve vs. my SoundB. Live! 5.1? I don't need a 5.1 or higher setup to enjoy the benefits of a new soundcard?

What's the better soundcard for music? What's this TBSC or whatever?

Apr 10, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #15 of 24
TBSC is a old soundcard, "Turtle Beach Santa Cruz".

M-Audio Revolution is currently one of the best music/price ratio soundcards out right now. I'd definetly recomend it, there isn't much point going higher end for a soundcard if you are only using PC speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back