Creative Sound Blaster Z or Micca Origen+? (other options are welcome)
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NightAntilli

New Head-Fier
Hey all.
I've been considering to upgrade the audio of my PC for a while, but I'm still undecided about what the best option is for me.. So I'm going to ask you for advice :)

My current hardware
I have an M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboard, which has a Realtek ALC892 onboard sound chip. Generally I have no issues with the audio, no cracking nor anything, but I'm quite sure I can get better sound quality.
I also have Audio-Technica ATH-M40X headphones. I don't plan on upgrading these. I just got them and am happy with them. They are 35 ohm headphones so they are easy enough to drive. I do want some speakers, but more on that later.

My uses
I mostly game on my setup as of late, but I love to use it for music listening also, sometimes for recording on some occasions. I play electric guitar, recording is for personal use, not for anyone else. 
The games I play are varied... If I pick the last few games that I booted up, they are Dragon Age: Inquisition, 9Dragons, For Honor, Need for Speed and Rainbow Six Siege. 
The music I listen to is also varied... I love soundtracks though. A few of my favorites are the soundtracks from Gladiator, The Last Samurai, Transformers, The Island.. Game soundtrack examples are Life is Strange, Pokemon series, Mass Effect series, Mirror's Edge series... As for music in general, might be easier to just look at my Last.FM profile (http://www.last.fm/user/NightAntilli)
I also watch movies from time to time on my PC, but I will be getting a home theater setup for the living room on a separate occasion, so it's not the current focus. 
I use my headphones when I don't want to wake or disturb anyone. When I get my speakers, I must be able to easily switch between them and my headphones.

What I've considered
In the near future, I plan to add the JBL LSR305 as desktop speakers. Since they're active, this involves a 3.5 mm jack to dual 1/4" jack or to dual XLR. I think I made up my mind with this, but other suggestions are still welcome. Price would be max ~$300 for a 2.0 or 2.1 setup.
Since my use is varied and not focused on music only for example, I've been considering getting a Creative Sound Blaster Z, since it's considered a jack of all trades card with respectable quality. Still not quite sure though... I've also looked around and read about different DACs, and the Micca Origen+ seems like a good option for me... The switch to alter between line out and headphone is delightful.
My budget for the sound card or DAC is around ~$100. I can stretch to ~$150 if necessary.

My doubts & questions
  1. I don't exactly need the headphone amp of the SBZ, considering my M40x is 35 ohms only, right? The card would then only be for the potentially improved sound quality, and maybe the surround effects for gaming. Still worth it? Why not a Sound Blaster Audigy FX or Asus Xonar DGX instead to save some money?
  2. If I don't really need the headphone amp, I'll likely use my front panel connector instead. If I use my front panel, is the EMI shield on the SBZ useless?
  3. What about the Sound Blaster Zx? Worth the upgrade for the volume controller?
  4. Would I be better off buying the Micca Origen+ rather than the SBZ? Is the sound quality similar or better? 
  5. Why should I go through all this trouble and not simply get a Sound Blaster X Katana soundbar and be done with it? (Half joke, half real question).

Thank you all in advance, for your replies.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 6
I would say the SB-Z card is a great value, buy a used one off eBay.

While plugging 35-Ohm headphone (ATH-M40X) into a headphone jack with a 22-Ohm output impedance (SB-Z) is not prefect.
The SB-Z still makes the best over all option, for what your trying to setup.

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $170.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

This Hosa cable ($7) will connect the SB-Z card to the studio monitors.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP153

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 6
How do the monoprice compare to the JBL LSR305 in terms of sound quality? They're much cheaper.

Speaking of which... The LSR305 need some sort of volume knob if I go for the Sound Blaster Z. Controlling it solely through Windows would be kind of annoying. I don't have that issue if I go with the Micca Origen. But are there any volume knobs available that don't break the bank? 

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 6
  How do the monoprice compare to the JBL LSR305 in terms of sound quality? They're much cheaper.

Speaking of which... The LSR305 need some sort of volume knob if I go for the Sound Blaster Z. Controlling it solely through Windows would be kind of annoying. I don't have that issue if I go with the Micca Origen. But are there any volume knobs available that don't break the bank? 

The Monoprice 5" studio monitors are basically relabeled M-Audio BX5 studio monitors.
And the BX5 original version use to sell for $250 a pair.

Sometimes the Monoprice units go on sale for $130 (a pair).

Can't really say for sure how the Monoprice units compare to the LSR305.
But I do like my Monoprice studio monitors.

Guess you want something like a pre-amp, to give you a volume knob at your finger tips.
Guess a Schiit SYS would do the job
http://schiit.com/products/sys

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 6
So I figured out that the Micca Origen+ has a CS4392 while the SBZ has the CS4398. Can't seem to find the exact difference anywhere, but the consensus is that the CS4398 DAC is the best one Cirrus Logic has... I guess that's more argument to go for the SBZ... I'll find out what to do with my volume knob at a later time. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back